Inexpensive Lenses

JayPearson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting pics with my normal, everyday 18-55 mm lens and have been wanting to upgrade with a few different lenses. I mainly want to get a telephoto lens first but anything different would be nice. So i was just wondering if there are any websites where you can buy inexpensive lenses? Or, do you just have a to take out a mortgage to get what you want?

Photography isn't cheap, and any place with prices way lower than usual is a scam.

However, if you posted what type of lens you were looking for, we could narrow down as inexpensive a solution as possible.

I have def. found out that photograhy isn't cheap. I know that i want something that i can shoot from a reasonable distance, but im not sure how the mm to feet ratio goes. I also know that i can get an inexpensive tele-lens but you have to worry about keeping the camera really still.

I'm shooting a Canon. What kind of distance do you get with the 55-200?

I'm shooting a Canon. What kind of distance do you get with the 55-200?

This: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php should give you a frame of reference for the comparitive fields of view of lenses of different focal lengths. On the topic of "inexpensive" lenses however, remember you get what you pay for. There's a reason that one 28-70mm zoom costs $400 and another $2000. Lenses should be a lifetime purchase; don't buy cheap! Wait a little while until you've got more money to spend, OR look at used. Used gear is a great way to go, and will save you a lot of money over time.

go to this link

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos

from there, you can click on viewing photos by camera or lens or filter, etc. When you find the item you are interested in, go to amazon.com and see what their price is. Amazon.com is what I use as a decent online pricing guide. You can always shop around for a better deal.

amazon.com has great deals on lenses sometimes.

If you're strapped for cash, a good cheaper lens is the Canon EF 75-300mm. You can find it for around 199.99 in stores, or 120.00 on amazon. It's not IS, and you need a tripod in low/no light shots, and the AF is kind of slow. But aside from that its a good lens that takes good pics, as long as you know its limitations. I just make sure to have my tripod w/ me anytime i MIGHT need it, and i manual focus 90% of the time when i'm using it.

That's on the canon end at least.

EDIT:

as much as i'd love to save for the lifetime purchases only...I needed lenses i could afford now, for the situations i may need them for. Saving money for big purchases is a VERY slow process in my house, so I'm perfectly fine buying a budget lens FOR NOW, so i have a lens for most situations, and then saving for the lifetime purchases later on.

Some will put up with the 15-55 kit lens until they can afford a good lens, regardless of when that is. I would go crazy if i only had the kit lens, so i needed options.

This is a decision thats up to nobody else but you, with pros and cons on both sides. It's about your own priorities and financial situation.

I believe i have seen the lens your are talking in about in Circuit City before. I just always thought i was too goo do to be true and thought it wasn't a good lens. I just want to be able to sit in the stand at a football game and shoot decent pics, and i dont mean all the way across field from inzone to inzone. By the way, what kind of distance does that 75-300 get ?

i've edited since youve posted by the way.

the 75-300mm is by no means a fast lens, BUT in bright light situations, it can handle freezing some fast movement prettty well. it's downfall is in low light situations. you WILL need a tripod, and i don't know how well it would freeze movement in less than optimal light. I use mine for nature, and landscapes, etc...so it works perfectly fine for what i use it for, and i always have a tripod ready.

It is important to remember that field of view and magnification are not the same. A 200mm lens magnifies the same whatever format camera it's on. The apparent increase in magnification caused by smaller formats (with the same focal length lens) is the same as making larger prints, and thus can be duplicated out-of-camera whatever body is being used.

Most reactions

Back