Inexpensive Macro Lens

Portrayed1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for an inexpensive macro lens for a Nikon D40. Thanks.

I am looking for an inexpensive macro lens for a Nikon D40. Thanks.

Put inexpensive into perspective for us. After purchasing my 70-200, the nikon 105 2.8 for $375 was very "inexpensive".....:lol:

Been looking at the following.....
PROMASTER® AF 70-300 F/4- 5.6 LD $199.95

SIGMA 70-300mm 70-300 DG *HSM* Macro lens NIKON D40 US $169.95

im not sure if i need to stay with nikon or can go with others...??? still learning LOTS!!! Thanks.

Tamron 90mm f/2.5 Macro Adaptall. It was a well known macro in its time. Definitely better than any inexpensive pseudo-macro zoom. You'll need the appropriate Adaptall and it is manual

I think you need to get a dedicated macro if you're gonna get into it seriously. Get a lens that has 1:1 reproduction not 1:2.

Been looking at the following.....
PROMASTER® AF 70-300 F/4- 5.6 LD $199.95

SIGMA 70-300mm 70-300 DG *HSM* Macro lens NIKON D40 US $169.95

im not sure if i need to stay with nikon or can go with others...??? still learning LOTS!!! Thanks.
Those zooms are not true macro's. You need to looks at primes for macro that will give you the 1:1 ratio or better.

I think you need to get a dedicated macro if you're gonna get into it seriously. Get a lens that has 1:1 reproduction not 1:2.

could you give me a brand name to take a look at? thanks.

Put inexpensive into perspective for us. After purchasing my 70-200, the nikon 105 2.8 for $375 was very "inexpensive".....:lol:
What??? !!! WTF? Where? VR? ED? New? I just got one at double that.

WHAT?
Also, the ones you mentioned aren't macro, just look at the 60 someone mentioned.

Dam dude, where did you get a 105 for $375??????

What??? !!! WTF? Where? VR? ED? New? I just got one at double that.

Ebay, baby!!!! Gotta have some patience & find the people who don't know how to properly list an item. This guy must have been a night owl, because he listed it at something like 4:00am, so that is when the auction ended 7 days later....and nobody was awake to snipe me out of it....:lmao: I had a bid in for $400, but it only went to $375 + $20 for insured shipping. I'd seen the same lens go for $500+ in auctions that ended at normal evening hours.

Some people don't realize there are great strategies to ebay. About two years ago, I bought an 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D for $600 the same way, used it for over a year while saving up for my 70-200, and turned around and sold it for $650...

- The best time to buy something is early morning, because less people are awake to snipe.
- The best time to list things for 7 day auction is 10:00 to 10:30 pm on a Friday night (EST US). That way when it ends the following week.......
1) Fridays are payday for a LOT of people
2) Just about everyone is home from work, from east coast to west coast, they've had time to get cleaned up & eat dinner, and are not going to bed early for work...maximum audience.

Pic of my baby:

105mm.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of used gear, but I'm not keen on buying glass sight-unseen.

Understandable on this point. That is why I always check the item description, or ask the seller, to see what their return policy is if I am not satisfied with the item. I will not buy if it is "sales final".

Sorry, Portrayed1, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Back to your pondering, I agree with Kegger on going with a dedicated macro that gives you a true 1:1 magnification. The Sigma 105mm is a good lens, but you can expect to pay nearly as much as I paid for my nikon. As far as the focal lenths, you need to keep in mind that the shorter the lense, the closer you need to get to your subject. If you are thinking studio stills, then something in the 60mm range will be OK, but if you are going for critters....bugs, butterflys, etc, then you will want the longer focal lengths that give you better working distance from your subject.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back