Inexpensive macro?

pony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to try some macro, but don't want to commit to an uber$$$ lens.
I have a D90. I was looking on B&H and found some Tamron and Sigma lenses for under $300.

Are any of those decent lenses, or should I try and find a used or refurbished Nikon?

Just wondering what is my best bet for macro on a budget.

TIA

Cheapest. Just take another lens, flip it backwards, then hold it in front of your lens.

Cheaper. Or you can buy some extenstion tubes on ebay that hold the lens out further from the camera for closer focusing

Cheap. Get an old nikon mount manual focus lens.

Any specific recommendation?

I'm not into a tube or another lens inverted...but thanks :)

Any specific recommendation?

I'm not into a tube or another lens inverted...but thanks :)

NIKON MICRO-NIKKOR 55MM 1:3.5 MANUAL FOCUS A-i - eBay (item 270539168965 end time Mar-07-10 10:20:15 PST)

You gotta be careful, it has to be either AI or AI-s. If its a non-AI you need to make sure it has been converted to fit new DSLRs. Also make sure it doesnt have any fungus or anything. I found a bunch on ebay with fungus but it was hard to find a clean version that wasnt to expensive

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can find a Cosina/Vivitar/promaster/Phoenix 100mm F/3.5 macro lens for Nikon, you can try that route. From what I read, it is a very cheaply made lens (all toy like plastic) but optically pretty decent. I saw it once in a while (Canon EOS mount) on ebay for less than $100. But it is hard to find sometimes. If you do find one, make sure it has a adapter so that it can do 1:1 macro.

If you can locate them, it is around $100 new.

Reviews:
Phoenix AF 100mm f/3.5 Macro Telephoto Reviews
Vivitar Lens: Primes - Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 AF Macro - SLRgear.com!
Phoenix AF 100mm f/3.4 Macro Lens - A Nikonians Product Review

I came across these youtube videos the other day. It's a nice tutorial for the different methods of achieving macros, but the idea has already been covered. The cheapest solution is a reversing filter. Next would be a good set of macro filters. Next would be extension tubes and bellows. Finally, you could get a nice dedicated macro lens. I use the Simga EX 70mm which is rather sharp and weighs in around $450 I think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYBy3FQ2E9c&feature=PlayList&p=7D3D4208A8D214BF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2]YouTube - Equipment for Macro Photography - Part 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JgDQz5zcY4]YouTube - Equipment for Macro Photography - Part 2[/ame]

Most reactions

Back