Inexpensive manual flash

Deadeye008

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hamblinphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a few auto flahes that I am using for off camera flash but they only have 2 strengths, high and higher... I'm looking for a flash that I can manually dial down to get the right lighting output for the situation. Anybody know of one or a way I can do this with the flashes I already have...

If the flash has a consistent output, you can just figure out what aperture you need to use to get the results you want. If you know the guide number, you can use that to figure it out.

Also, light fall off is an inverse square to the distance from the subject. So the further away you move the flash, the less light will reach the subject.

You could look for old Vivitar 283 flash units. They are fairly powerful and pretty reliable. You could also buy something like the Sunpak 383 for less than $100.

I don't know if this will work, but could you use ND gels to knock down the flash?

Thanks for the advice Mike and Bester. I think I'll run by the local craft store and see if I can find something to put over the flash to tone it down a little and then I'll have to go and test my flashes out a bit more to get them down.

vivitar brought back the 285 I believe. Its currently in reproduction

Most reactions

Back