inexpensive medium format?

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
are there any? I'd like to buy one...but all the ones i want are at least 600 USD. are polaroid land cameras considered medium format? because you can get those on ebay for less than 50 bucks. I'm in the process of saving up for a dSLR as well, which is why i cant spend too too much. something under 200 would work. i havent found many though. forgot to mention...something that accepts 6x6 or bigger slides.

I'd recommend you the Pentacon Six TL, it's a medium format slr with all the good Carl Zeiss lenses, you should be able to get one for about 150$.

psixtl.jpg

ksmattfish said:
Check out this link for medium format folders.

http://www.cleanimages.com/Article-MediumFormatInYourPocket.asp

Also TLRs are a great, inexpensive way to get started in medium format: Yashica, Mamiya, Minolta TLRs usually go for less than $200.

true, I picked up my Yashicamat 124G on Ebay for about $175 shipped and insured. It was in pretty much perfect condition. Put in a batter for the light meter, and it works fine. the optics are great. I have only one roll through it, but they came out great, and I can't WAIT to shoot some more.

If you want to be really cheap, pick up an old box camera. Many used 120 film and can be bought for 5 to 10 dollars.

Almost all medium format rigs are dropping in price on the used market (unfortunately not the 6x17 models, rats! ). Check out Bronica SLRs. Nice cameras, and going cheap these days.

If you don't mind me jumping in, I wanted to post a topic of my own but it will fit here. I'm looking for something small, cheap, and wide angle. I'm fine with the lens being fixed. Anything in the 24-35 (but preferably 28) millimeter range, 35mm equivalent. I assume this is somewhere around 55-65mm 6x6/6x7. Please post some recommendations, or tell me that I'm screwed :p The Mamiya 7 is sexy, but for the right lens and body it would easily cost 2000-2500 dollars.

sbalsama said:
I'm looking for something small, cheap, and wide angle. I'm fine with the lens being fixed. ... I assume this is somewhere around 55-65mm 6x6/6x7.

Mamiya TLRs (6x6) have interchangable lenses, and I believe there is both a 55mm and a 65mm available.

Rats, sorry, I forgot to mention; I was kind of hoping to get a rangefinder or something "portable" such as that. I'm well aware of the C330 and would definitely pick up a nice set if it came to it. To me, the TLRs are awkward to use so I'm keeping them as a "last resort," though by no means a non-contender. Thanks!

With the exception of folders, TLRs are about the smallest med format cameras I am aware of. I consider my Rollei to be very portable, and handholdable. All the rangefinders and SLRs I've seen are twice the size or larger. TLRs do take some getting used to, but so do all cameras. Fuji has an older folder (with rangefinder) that shoots 6x4.5, and I think it has a 65mm lens, although that's not so wide anymore at 6x4.5

Most reactions

Back