Informal Portraiture

I apologize for the back and forth; because maybe I am just taking all this too personally. It quite honestly seemed like most of the comments on this thread were directed at the people in the photo rather than critiquing the photos themselves.

To you they are nephews and friends, to us and everyone else they are just subjects in a photo. Keeping this in mind will help you immensely as you hopefully remain on this forum and continue to grow and learn.

If the boys hate being in front of the camera, I would suggest candids. Have them doing what they enjoy and photograph that in a way that retains them as the main subject matter.

Reshoots are another great reason to get everyone back together.

p!nK

I do candids with smaller kids because those always turn out better; it's just a lot more work for me; running around; laying on the ground and what not. Lol. That is a great idea though; I hadn't thought of it for older children.

I didn't really imagine this to be the type of forum that makes snap judgments based off of an individual's appearance.
I hope you understand that my comment was directed toward another poster who made a snap judgement about your cousin's personality based solely on the lad's outward appearance.
Nahh, we cool. :D Last night I was pretty irritated that I walked away for a few hours and came back to a roast of my 17 year old cousin (a.k.a. a kid), by what I assume to be "grown men". Maybe I misinterpreted the object of the comments; but some of them were quite clear in who they were directed at. Thank you for the clarification though. :D
Sorry. I did not mean to sidetrack from the original intent of your post. I found it distasteful how the people in your picture were being referred to and decided to address the comments. This forum is extremely useful in critique and advice on improvement and hope you continue to utilize the resources this forum provides.

How do I overcome reflections for people who do wear glasses?
The same way you pot balls when you shoot pool.
It's all about the angles.
Reflections happen in a range of angles, known as the 'family of angles".
I highly recommend the popular (now in it's 5th edition) and inexpensive book Light Science & Magic

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I didn't really imagine this to be the type of forum that makes snap judgments based off of an individual's appearance.
I hope you understand that my comment was directed toward another poster who made a snap judgement about your cousin's personality based solely on the lad's outward appearance.
Nahh, we cool. :D Last night I was pretty irritated that I walked away for a few hours and came back to a roast of my 17 year old cousin (a.k.a. a kid), by what I assume to be "grown men". Maybe I misinterpreted the object of the comments; but some of them were quite clear in who they were directed at. Thank you for the clarification though. :D
Sorry. I did not mean to sidetrack from the original intent of your post. I found it distasteful how the people in your picture were being referred to and decided to address the comments. This forum is extremely useful in critique and advice on improvement and hope you continue to utilize the resources this forum provides.

No need to apologize. I was directing that statement at anyone who had ill intent towards my subjects. :D Thank you for stepping up. ::smile::

How do I overcome reflections for people who do wear glasses?
The same way you pot balls when you shoot pool.
It's all about the angles.
Reflections happen in a range of angles, known as the 'family of angles".
I highly recommend the popular (now in it's 5th edition) and inexpensive book Light Science & Magic

Ooooo, thanks for the suggestion! But science AND magic? Together? I feel like this is the sort of thing Neil deGrasse Tyson would frown upon. :D

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back