Infrared cameras

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by tommyjohn, Jul 11, 2008.

1. tommyjohn

tommyjohn TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Can anyone please tell me what models of 35mm cameras are out there in the used market for IR photography? I would like to try it out for myself but I need to know the type of cameras that will be compatible with the IR film. Thanks in advance.

2. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just about any 35mm film slr will be fine (you don't need to deal with the filter they put over the sensor on dSLR's).

If I remember correctly, I used to use an 89B filter for B/W IR photography. I seem to remember several filter choices. Haven't done this in years.

One of these days I'm going to find a used dSLR body to convert ...

3. Mike30D

Mike30D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Best of luck finding any IR film! Kodak discontinued their HS IR film at the end of 2007

4. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think Ilford still makes a B&W Infared film. I have one roll of Color Slide Infared film left but there aren't any more out there to be had.

You may want to look at a used DSLR and have it adapted for IR photography. I've been thinking of picking up a used D70s or D100 and having it converted.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are still plenty of infrared films available. Kodak HIE was not the only one out there, although it was one of the weirdest and thus most appealing to me.

Not all cameras can use all IR films. Some films (Kodak HIE was one, and I believe Rollie make another) have no anti-halnation layer on the back. This is what gave HIE it's trademark glow, and such films will not work on cameras which have:
    - A viewing window in the film compartment (could cause the film to fog).
    - An infrared frame counter which counts across the sprockets (will cause the film to fog in from the edge about 5mm into the frame)
    - An infrared date printer (yuk, who thought this was a good idea anyway?)

Everything else should work just fine, and even these models can be used on many infrared films.