Infrared Filters Infrared Film...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by John the Greek, Jun 19, 2005.

1. John the Greek

John the Greek TPF Noob!

I have a Nikon N80 and to my dismay I found out I can't use infrared film with it due to some annoying innovation inside that aids with ensuring the correct # of exposures per roll, but fogs up any IR film... :(

anyway, I just came across Infrared filters online but have never heard of them. Ok, so they block visible light and let IR waves pass, but does it just produce BLANK photos with reg. film?
    Basically, I want to know if an IR filter would allow me to still take IR photos.. I think the answer is no.

In that case, are the filters just for enhancing the quality of photos taken with IR Film..?

2. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Yeah... you're thinking correctly. Regular (panchrormatic) film will not produce a photo that looks like one made with IR film when using the filter.

3. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi John, you are referring to the infrared film advance feature, that projects a tiny IR beam along the sprockets of the film. My Pentax MZ-S has the same thing, with the same hideous warning in my manual - "Do not use IR film". :x

You have a couple of options, however. One is to go ahead and use the IR film anyway, with a #25 or 29 filter. The manufacturer does not want to be held liable for possible fogging of your potentially award-winning shots - that's why that warning is in the book. But mainly the fogging will take place along the sprockets, and possibly intrude into the frame. Solution? Compose your image - and then take 2 steps back, allowing for some cropping, should there be any fogging inside your frames.

Another option is to use Ilford SFX 200 film, with the same red filters. It's not a true IR film, like Kodak HIE, but that's kind of the fun of it. It will act darn close with the use of the filters, and you can take the filters off if you choose to go for a regular B&W image - all on the same roll of film. :thumbup: Try it out, bracket and keep an exposure log as you go.

The lesson here is never to buy into the naysayers until you've done personal testing. Your results may vary. ;)

4. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

You can also cover the little sensor CAREFULLY and it'll stop it. You'll just have to input the film specs to the camera by hand.