Infrared with my Minolta

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by ddeerreekk, Sep 13, 2009.

1. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've got my dad's old minolta x700 up and running and am interested in doing some infrared photography with it. I've heard it's a very good camera for infrared but don't know where to start. What do I need to do proper infrared? Just special film? Is there any in production?

Thanks, Any help is appreciated!
    -Derek

2. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    www.freestylephoto.biz offers a couple of IR films. There's Efke820 which is into the infrared end of the spectrum. A few others that are at the edge of the visible light spectrum (740nm or so). The most ideal way to do IR is with a camera that has a seperate viewing lens (ie. twin lens reflex (TLR) or a rangefinder (RF)) and a sturdy tripod. You need heavy red filtration which does two things. First, it makes view focusing problematic as the filtration reduces visible light entering an SLR viewfinder. Secondly, the filter factor increases the need for slower shutter speeds and thus the introduction of camera shake.

As to which film and filter to use, there are as many combinations as there are photographers. Best to just get a film and a filter and get to shooting. Practice makes perfect. And take meticulous notes at the start so you get to know what works the best.

Good luck.