Infrared

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by iluvphotography, Jun 8, 2006.

1. iluvphotography

iluvphotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    OK this question might sound stupid, and you guys might even ban me from this site for asking this, but I am new to photography and I am still learning...and I must say I have learned a lot from this site....

I really like the look of infrared pictures, although I am not sure what is the technology behind it... I know it has something to do with the type of the film and the filter... But I was wondering if it will be possible to get the same effect with digital or is it something that can be done in Photoshop?

2. fotogenik

fotogenik TPF Noob!

Here is a link that explains a little bit about digital infrared.

http://www.bermangraphics.com/digicam/d70-infrared.htm

http://www.pbase.com/lasombradelosdiablos/nikon_d50_infrared_ir

This one is specific to a Nikon D70 but the same principles apply to all digital infrared. The big difference is how sensitive a specific camera is to infrared light, some mfgs are using better (for visual photo's anyway) infrared filters over the sensor of their camera's which makes the camera's less sensitive to infrared light.

3. Mohain

Mohain TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Digital IR.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50784

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46933

You will need:

A Hoya R72 filter.
    A graphics program that can swap the red and blue channels of your RGB image.
    Custom white balance taken from some grass, with the filter on.
    To deal with the hotspot your lens/filter combo is bound to make.

I used a Fuji s9500 (s9000 in US) to produce these shots. Nikon DSLRs are supposed to be good at IR, Canons less so. Some lens/filter combos produce a hotspot too hot to handle! Google for digital IR for more info.

Cheers,

Mohain

4. iluvphotography

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the info.. I didn't know you could do IR with digital cameras..

Wow I love your photos Mohain... and the IR works perfect for cemetry shots...

So am I pretty much out of luck with Canon? What graphic program do you use?

Now that I know it is possible I guess I will do a bit of a research on it for Canon..

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You could also pick up a manual film SLR and shoot the IR film (Kodak HIE). You can use a very inexpensive plain #25 red glass filter. It's no more time consuming than learning it in PS, if you chose to go that route. Any good B&W photo lab will process it for you.

6. Mohain

Mohain TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No no, not at all. Some digi cameras have 'hot filters' in front of the sensor which blocks out some Infrared light. It means that some cameras are less sensitive to infrared light than others. I have seen some great IR shots done on Canons tho.

Hoya R72 filters are pretty cheap so you can probably afford to experiment.

I use Photoshop CS2 and an action to swap the channels (then tweak lvls, curves, selective desturation and general fiddling until I'm happy).

You will also need a tripod as most of my exposured are around 30 seconds.

(Shameless plug to more IRs I've posted here ;))

www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47640
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47739
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47639

Cheers,

Mohain

7. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
  8. iluvphotography

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks guys...I love all your photos and when I look at them (stare at them) I think to myself.... Will I ever be able to take shots like these????
    And Terri, I should say I was inspired by your photos first to do infrared... the picture of the old garage(on the Gallery Forum)... it's just so beautiful, and all the techniques, time and effort that has gone into it.. it's just amazing..

I am off to Germany (for World Cup) tomorrow and then 2 weeks in Italy.. I am planning to take a lot of pictures!! I will try to pick up an IR lense before I go and see if I can get some nice shots...But I don't expect anything like you guy's photos.... it just seems I have to do a lot of practice before I get it right... So expect more questions from me along the way...

Thanks again for all the help....

9. bytch_mynickname

bytch_mynickname TPF Noob!

I have a couple of questions: Does anyone have any examples or experience of shooting IR shots with a Canon Rebel XT? Is it worth it to spend $40 on a Hoya R72 or is it going to be a waste with my camera?
    I am really drawn to the IR shots and would love to be able to get such beautiful shots but not too sure if my camera is sensitive enough to do it?

Does photoshop elements 4 give the option to do what I would need to do with switching the color channels? I have seen mention on photoshop doing it but not sure if that is one of the things that were cut out of elements?

And is $40 for the Hoya R72 a good price? I have no camera shops or anything around me so the only comparison I can do is online which I am assuming would be cheaper anyhow.

I am just a newbie with tons of questions, I want to be able to produce images like I see on here. Thanks

10. doenoe

doenoe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The pics you can HEREsee here are shot with a Rebel XT and as you can see, it works just fine. The only difference (as far as i know) is that you need longer exposures. And the filter wont waste your camera, its just a filter which you screw on to your lens. The same thing as a, lets say, a UV filter.
    If it is worth spending money on a filter is up too you, but i really am happy with the filter and am glad i spent the money on it. I think its a good price, i paid a bit more for mine when i bought it online.
    Dont know anything about elements 4, so i cant help you there.

11. magicmonkey

magicmonkey TPF Noob!

I've just started shooting IR with a rebel XT and R72, I made a lot of mistakes which people on the board helped me out with. Have a look at this thread if you want a blow by blow on a complete begginer getting off the ground with IR and some really helpful links:

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51339

12. iluvphotography

Photos OK to edit
    So what does it mean than the camera can be changed to IR camera.. on the links mentioned above there is this company that would convert your camera to IR?!!!! $350 for Canon.. what does that mean??

So I went to a camera shop today and asked for IR filter and they didn't know what was I talking about... they said do you mean UV filter???
    They said you have to probably special oreder it...

I live in Vancouver, Canada.. does anyone know where can I get the Hoya 72?

Also I am a bit confused about the white balancing part and taking picture of grass.... Could you guys explain that step?

Thanks