Inherited an SLR!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Xmetal, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My old man has decided to pass on the family heir loom Pentax ME Super 35mm SLR to me and i'd like to know if anyone else out there has the same camera and could answer a few questions. :)

A few pics I took this morning....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First Question: How do I set the shutter speed? I've worked out that 'B' is "hold the button down for as long as you want" but i don't know what '125X', 'M' and 'L' does? :scratch:

Second Question: Is ASA the same as ISO and can I still get light filters for the lenses pictured below?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help or suggestions are greatly accepted. :)

Thanks in advance.

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have one, although it mostly sits in the collection.

125x in the flash sync speed. You need to shoot at 1/125th sec or slower with flash.

M is full manual exposure. L is lock, as in off.

You change the shutter by pushing those 2 black buttons on top. One makes it go up, the other down. You can see the shutter speed in the viewfinder. Sort of an awkward system really, but still a good camera.

ASA is the same as ISO.

You just need to know the lens diameter size for filters. That 50mm f/1.7 (great lens) takes 49mm filters.

EDIT: Don't forget to turn it to "L" when you are done, or it will run out of batteries. Always carry spare batteries. This is the main reason I don't use mine. I always leave it on.

When this camera came out it was one of the smallest 35mm SLRs ever built. There is a 40mm "pancake" lens made for it that almost makes the camera pocketable.

EDIT again: It will shoot at 1/125th on the 125X setting without a battery.

3. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks heaps Matty!! :D

It's never been 'turned off' in its life and the battery hasn't gone flat once!

One other thing I forgot - Is there a way you can lock the shutter open for taking shots of the sky at night?

4. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

Buy a cable release which can lock. They're cheap and I think I can see a screw thread on the shutter button. The end of the cable release screws into there, you press a button on the other end and turn a small knob for it to lock. Turn the same knob the other way and it'll release.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ferny/macro_game/macro_game002.swf

On my SRT's the battery is only in use when there is light going into the camera. If you leave the meter switched on but have a lens cap on so not light is entering the camera the battery doesn't get used. Maybe it's the same thing here?

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That may be the case. I ran the battery down on mine a few times, but I don't really remember the specifics.

6. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've encountered a problem!

I went to change to a new roll of film, pressed the little button to release the 'rewind' thingy and now the shutter stuck along with the reload lever! :(

How do I get the little button on the bottom of the camera to 'pop' back out again?