Ink cartridges - best before date?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Lol999, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Lol999

Lol999 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all, what are the implications of buying ink cartridges past their sell by date on the box? If they are new and sealed in the foil is there a problem?

Cheers, Lol
  2. SaSi

SaSi New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't!
    I was once given a set of genuine but expired ink cartridges to use on an office inkjet. I am not sure how they were stored but they ruined the printhead. I spent almost a new cartridge to clean the printhead with little success.

Printer went to the shop, got a new printhead and all is well now. Lesson learnt.
  3. Lol999

Lol999 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Too late! I've bought a job lot of 20. However, being an HP printer they have the printhead built in so no worries there. I read on another cartridge re-manufacturing site where they have used cartridges 4 years past their sell by date with no problems whatsoever. Time will tell I guess, but seeing as I paid something like 10% of the normal full price I'm not sweating it too much!

Cheers, Lol
  4. kidashley25

kidashley25 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there are interval of 6 months after expiration date for the ink cartridges. and also they have warranty tags on it.