input please

pamcakes

pamcakespics
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
this is the first time i've used a telephoto lens. how can i improve please?
it's too blurry i think! i used a 55-200 nikon lens

Attachments

• $DSC_0047.JPG
    $DSC_0047.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 104
Nature is not my thing.

That being said, I'd have chosen a faster shutter speed, and I'd have shot at time where there was more light (or used flashes, if practical). Not so fast that I lost the blur in the wings, but fast enough where I didn't get the main body of the hummingbird blurred.

Edit-

I may also have zoomed out a bit, and centered the bird. But, those are two very personal stylistic choices that you may not agree with. I certainly hate it when people comment on my framing, but it looks somewhat unintentionally framed in combination with the blur.

i agree faster shutter speed would have helped you out... the colors look washed out on my screen, which might indicate that even under the conditions you shot this, u could have went faster shutter.

gosh, so much to learn here! i appreciate the comments...i'm going to sign up for classes 'cause i don't know squat about shutter speed etc..bet you couldn't guess, LOL!

its easy enough to learn yourself. but i would definately suggest the tripod first. a nice sturdy one that can handle the weight of your camera +glass

I would suggest that you attempt some easier subject matter, I think that you have kind of jumped in with both feet here. These little birds are tough to get good shots of. Maybe some landscape photography or something like that. just to get used to this lens, I've been into photography for a long time and mine look just like yours.

This is the kind of subject that gets Autofocus Adicts in trouble.

If you are just starting as you say, I would suggest learning to keep a thumb/finger on the auto/manual switch of your lens. (assuming your using a DSLR) Let the lens get you close then flick the switch and fine tune manually. With a little practice, you will suprise yourself with the speed you get focused.

Autofocus on a subject like this will cause your lens to act like a short-circuiting robot. It will twitch like crazy.

It could have been a slow shutter speed (now that I look at the image again, it probably was) but still a good thing to learn anyway.

A tripod might not always be practical, especially for shots like this that have to be grabbed right now. A fast shutter speed negates the need for a tripod for a shot like this, I think.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back