Inside the Cavalry Tent

BLS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My husband and I stopped by the encampment of the living history interpreters at the Wax Museum in Gettysburg, PA. During the tourist season, the museum hosts a different group of interpreters each weekend who camp out on the lawn Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday. Last weekend the group was the 21st (?) PA Cavalry. This is a shot I took looking into one of their tents. (Don't know why a Confederate flag was inside the tent of a Union cavalry.)

Please tell me what you do and do not like!

Confed-FlagE_0668.jpg

-I think this would look MUCH better in either sepia or black and white
-there is so much too look at that my eye can't find a resting point
-maybe another angle would have helped
-and now to be brutally honest I just don't see much of a shot here...maybe I'm missing the point, but it lacks something and leaves me to wonder why did you take it and what was it supposed to convey? For me this does nothing and seems as merely a snapshot...please don't think I'm being cruel, but it is in the critique and I'm simply stating my honest opinion and reaction.

As a still life shot, needs to have more focus. Get in closer, focus on one thing etc. If there is something else your going for, I don't see it. And yes B&W or sepia toned might give this more of an old feel to it.

the basket dosen't seem to belong and the scene seems stiff. b/w or sepia may hide the indoor/outdoor carpet also.

I also agree with converting it to B&W or toning it. IMO it will help give in more of an odder look and help cover-up the new props. Like the flag that should be battle wore, because IMO it would have been captured and is now being use as a tablecloth.

The shot may seem a little snap shoty, as discussed above, but i think the setting is working against you too. If this is living history then i'm afraid it doesn't say it too me. The tent looks like it's fresh out of the box and not something dragged around the country (they need to dirty it up and give it that lived in, well used look). The fake grass, the cane washing basket, the brand new flag (with fold creases), pristine clean gloves no wear and tear from miles of horsey riding and a throw rug to boot! I have heard of these folks, even though I'm in Australia butthey either take too much care with their stuff, or they write it off after each battle and requesition new stuff :)
After all that, I can see what you wanted to say with the shot (i think) but the props don't do it for me.

Thanks for all the comments. They gave me some food for thought. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me! :banghead:

Most reactions

Back