Insider view of an 18 day sports assignment.

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some of you may remember my assignment to Sochi for the Paralympic games. Next week I head out to Prince George BC, on Canada's west coast to cover the Canada Winter Games. In many ways it will be more challenging than Sochi was. I will try and post to the forum everyday, photos, challenges and whatever may come along. Here is a brief rundown on these games.

18 days
14 days of competition
2400 athletes
20 different sports
Sports range from summer(indoor events) winter, Paralympic and special Olympics.
Apart from the sports, I have to cover opening and closing ceremonies, 10 receptions and the cultural events. I'll be filing photos to Canadian press and uploading to another site as well.

These are the my 8th Canada Games, they are held every 2 years, alternating between summer and winter. I hope some of you will get some insight into a real world of shooting sports on a different level.

I fly out next Wednesday, 6 hour flight and my first shoot is 3 hours after I arrive.

Interested.

It is one of the big events I look forward to covering. On this one I'll be using a Fitbit, to keep track of the walking distances as well. I will try and cover 3-4 sports per day. Alpine events are the most challenging, travel time to the mountain is around 90 minutes, finding the best shooting spots on the hill and then getting to them.

Sounds like a blast! Good luck and stay warm.

Hope you've got some decent snow; things are pretty bare & soggy in most of the province.

I heard they had some snow this week. As long as have enough for the alpine/ski events in the hills. I'll be shooting a lot of indoor events.

We have extra snow here if you need it !!

Looking forward to seeing what you come back with :icon_thumright:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Scott, always enjoy your posts and photos. You work to a very high standard.

Wow! Almost two decades of working this event! That's amazing.

I hope you plan, to someday, create a book of your years working this event.

Arrived in Prince George after a 6 hour uneventful flight. It's been pouring rain since I got here yesterday, shot my first of 14 receptions and non sports related events last night, 3 more today.

There are concerns here about the weather, rain and warm temps are predicted for the next two weeks, outdoor speed skating oval is a puddle and competition starts there in two days. I had packed both snow and rain gear after checking the weather reports before I left home.

From a personal plus, and one that most photographers like to have handy, I'm in a great hotel suite, full kitchen, and within a 10 minute walk to the grocery store and beer store, as well as some restaurants, both fast food and sit down.

I'll start adding pictures as soon as I have anything to add.

As long as you're close to the beer store...

Will be interested to follow your experience there.

I'm looking forward to this! Thanks for sharing your work with us.

what a weird world, Canada can't buy snow and the Northeast has tons of it.

Here are a few from tonights reception.

Bad pose.

Most attractive Police officer I've ever seen.

My fridge.

For anyone that doesn't know this quick trick to figure out your exposure before the speakers take the stage. Take a quick frame of your hand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back