Insider view of an 18 day sports assignment.

Amazing stuff! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us!!

Whats with the hockey pants? It's bugging me.

Fantastic shots, although the one with the hands is a but horror film-esque.

The girls are playing ringette, they wear the long pants, the lower body pads are thinner than in hockey with the puck.

The girls are playing ringette, they wear the long pants, the lower body pads are thinner than in hockey with the puck.

OMG I am a moron. Didn't even notice it wasn't hockey.

Gee doesn't anyone remember the Philly Flyers from... I don't know when? lol have just seen pictures myself, good thing they gave up that idea.

Makes me think of broomball. I think in roller hockey they wear long pants too, haven't seen either recently.

I see the handprints now in the background of the photo of the gymnast wearing blue, very cool.

The NHL used the long Cooperall pants for a short time before switching back to the traditions pants. They are great to wear, I still have mine when I play hockey, most of the young guys have never seen them before. They weren't very popular, the Flyers and Hartford Whalers used them in the early 80's, goalies hated them as they lost site of the puck against the black pants. Jr hockey used them into the late 80's.

This is getting OT but I would think they'd be more restrictive. I've seen players with the inseams of their skate pants ripped. Of course they don't seem to care. Or maybe like it, might let them make longer strides.

I'm at the half way point today, no sports as they are moving all of last weeks athletes out and the new ones are coming in, competition starts again tomorrow with badminton and squash. The other sports coming in are figure skating, table tennis, cross country skiing, women's curling, men's hockey, synchronized swimming, snow board and trampoline.

The photos I just added are from the bronze, gold medal ringette, gold women's hockey and a speed skating shot.

Yesterday started at 9am and I finished uploading 125 shots at 2am, a long day that not even coffee can help this morning.

Whoo, long day. Those first three are great, catching unique moments in some unusual shots.

I've had a day and half off now, recharged my mental batteries, picked up more food for the week, sent out pictures to all the requests I've had this week. Tonight I have two hockey games.

Tomorrow it's badminton, table tennis, squash, women's curling and men's hockey. 9am-10pm. Being able to shoot badminton, table tennis, squash and curling means that I don't have to cover them again this week until the finals. Planning ahead leaves me room during the day to pick up any surprises that may come up. Big events is all about pre-planning so you don't suddenly become overwhelmed if something happens, weather delay or time changes, staying flexible and relaxed makes all the difference when shooting anything.

Images from this morning. On a side note, Nikon is loaning gear to accredited people here, pretty much all the best gear they have. It has been pretty amusing though. If someone handed you a D4 and no instruction book and you have never used Nikon before, how well do you think most of these people are doing. I have heard the questions, "how do I make it go faster" "how come it doesn't focus" "what do all these buttons do" "how do I see my pictures" From me it has mostly been, "while you're trying to figure out what you're doing, stand somewhere else" I'm not sure why Nikon does this, they aren't a sponsor of these games and the brand new gear is getting banged up.

Here's some badminton, a couple different angles, I'll be going back to work on this one. Table tennis is a nice venue with clean space, and squash in the glass cage and captive players.

My favorites are the wheelchair basketball images, which to me show the most emotion. For me, those were really the gold medal winners.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back