inspiration?

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So what do people on the Forum to motivate you and inspire you to get out there and take pics when you just aren't motivated or inspired?

It depends what you mean.

If I'm not motivated to shoot then I don't want to so I won't. I'll listen to music, play my sax, go shopping, go drinking, or one of the many other things that combine to give me a balance in life.

However, if I want to shoot but just can't think of any interesting subjects then I need to change my perspective. Simple things are often effective.

If you have a rout that you walk regularly, try going the other way round and start from where you would normally end up. Simple but you get a completely different perspective.

Take part in the comp's or assignments; Or even make up your own assignments like 'take a picture that could represent or share the title of a beatles song/album'. See how long it takes you to do the complete works. ;)

Often times I will be somewhere and the situation is the inspiration. I may not even be there to take pictures. Other times I may go somewhere with something specific in mind and change my whole focus after I am there. I try to always have my camera with me, because you never know....

Marctwo said:
It depends what you mean.

If I'm not motivated to shoot then I don't want to so I won't. I'll listen to music, play my sax, go shopping, go drinking, or one of the many other things that combine to give me a balance in life.

However, if I want to shoot but just can't think of any interesting subjects then I need to change my perspective. Simple things are often effective.

I really meant the latter...but balance of life is a wee problem this week :)

You idea about giving myself assignments has worked for me in the past, and it's a great idea...I guess I never really thought of it as a motivating technique until you mentioned it as such. I did that a little while back, and the topic was "things I see every day, but wouldn't normally think to take a picture of. If you are interested in the success of that endeavor, I point you to the following URLs:

http://photoblog.servatus.com/index.php?showimage=63
http://photoblog.servatus.com/index.php?showimage=62
http://photoblog.servatus.com/index.php?showimage=61
http://photoblog.servatus.com/index.php?showimage=59
http://photoblog.servatus.com/index.php?showimage=58

I think I'm just in a funk, and am hoping that taking some pics will help, but I'm not motivated to take any pics...also it's been raining all weekend and it's still disgusting outside...that never helps a funk.

Speaking of rain... Kevin, you mentioned always having your camera with you. I wanted to bring mine with me to work the other day (just to have it with me), but it was raining so bad, I was afraid to take it out of my apartment. I've had a chat with eydryan, and he has assured me that as long as I stay under my umbrella, I'm pretty safe. I guess I'm still a little too skittish as my camera is relatively new and expensive (except I'm now looking at the Canon 20D...I think I will be afraid to touch it if I really get it :lol: )

I visit art museums and galleries, coffee and book shops where art/photographs are hanging, etc... I've always found looking at real prints (as opposed to reproductions in books and on the internet) to be educational and inspirational.

When the inspiration/motivation is really lacking it's time to do the more mundane stuff: clean the darkroom, reorganize/clean the camera bags, film testing, etc... I almost always have a backlog of BW film to develop and print, and I'm starting to get a backlog of RAW files to process. Sometimes I forgot what I was shot, and rediscovering it is inspiring and motivational.

jocose said:
Speaking of rain...

Sounds like you need a camera for shooting in the rain. I love the way the world looks in the rain. Pick up a cheap, old, mechanical, film SLR for bad weather shooting.

ksmattfish said:
I visit art museums and galleries, coffee and book shops where art/photographs are hanging, etc... I've always found looking at real prints (as opposed to reproductions in books and on the internet) to be educational and inspirational.

I spend a lot of time looking at everyone's pics, either on the Forum or on their photoblogs (which raises a separate question of the "copying" idea--that is, I see your pic and go out and try to do the same thing--but I guess it's an hommage and flattering, right?).

I really have very little excuse about the museums as I live in DC and work about 3 blocks from the Smithsonian Institution :)

Maybe I'll head over there on my lunch break (if it's not raining, of course).

ksmattfish said:
Sounds like you need a camera for shooting in the rain. I love the way the world looks in the rain. Pick up a cheap, old, mechanical, film SLR for bad weather shooting.

That's actually a great idea. I am seriously thinking about upgrading from my PowerShot S2 (know anyone interested in buying?) and getting the 20D. If I bought a cheap Rebel, I could still use the same lenses, right?

The only problem is that film scares me. I am still a newbie, and I like the digital medium since I can see it right away instead of having to spend money to get it developed.

But, there are a bunch of pawn shops near my apartment (yea, I live on the nice side of town--the pawn shops are right next to the check cashing joints), so maybe I should check them out this weekend.

Thanks, everyone, for good ideas and suggestions...have I mentioned how awesome this Forum is??

I know what you are talking about. Museums and galleries are a good answer. When I am lacking inspiration I head for anything except for photography. I check out sculptures, textiles, paintings, whatever. The idea for me is to understand texture and 3d elements.

i'm influenced by a lot of stuff, example images or not...

ie: recently i was fascinated by the idea of symmetry in images (from reading a book on symmetry in nature/science and math)

other times i'm inspired by seeing good photo moments in my head after viewing something with potential, or seeing a good moment by itself, my knowledge of photographic technique kind of applies itself to that, and i get an image in my head which, because i wasn't able to capture it, pushes me to go out for other opportunities

Thanks, Hertz.

That thread was a little different than my problem, but still helped :)

Thanks for looking out for all of us :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back