inspiration

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
well, sorry i haven't been around te boards much recently and that I've been really slow to respond to the web space requests recently, it's all because my life is turning into more of a nightmare every day over the past few weeks. I don't really want to go into it but I do really need a project to get my mind off things. I'm really short on inspiration so I thought I'd start a thread with project ideas on, maybe it would be useful to other people as well...

so, the question is:

can you think of a diverting project which doesn't involve models, lanscapes or urban work that could keep you busy for a few days?

Hows about a series of candids that are linked to the weather - thunder at the moment!

Or you could pop into Oxford and shoot the inordinate amount of coppers down there this afternoon - was going to go then the sky darkened and it's rumbling bad out there. Theres an animal rights protest of some description going on, but they haven't got a clue what form its going to take, so to be on the safe side, they have brought an army in - a wet army soon by the looks of it.

Failing that, weird things in peoples kitchens :D

not a bad idea, one problem though, if they're outside the testing labs then there's an injunction stopping anyone other than press photographers from shooting there. That, and the weather has put me off going outside!

Kitchens could be an interesting one, maybe there'll be a kitchen thread coming up!

Still lifes come to mind. Light from a window, a cutting board, a knife, and a piece or two of fruit and/or vegetables and you're on your way. Add an interesting piece of pottery or a nicely-patterned piece of cloth. A few slices of onion adds a focal point. Remember what what's-his-name did with a bell pepper? And then there was you-know-who and his fantastic shot of a cut head of cabbage. Not to mention that other fellow who . . .

Then too, you can eat whatever's left over. Can't do that with a landscape or seascape, you know.

ps: good to see your post. You're in my thoughts.

Torus34 said:
Still lifes come to mind. Light from a window, a cutting board, a knife, and a piece or two of fruit and/or vegetables and you're on your way. Add an interesting piece of pottery or a nicely-patterned piece of cloth. A few slices of onion adds a focal point. Remember what what's-his-name did with a bell pepper? And then there was you-know-who and his fantastic shot of a cut head of cabbage. Not to mention that other fellow who . . .

Then too, you can eat whatever's left over. Can't do that with a landscape or seascape, you know.

ps: good to see your post. You're in my thoughts.

been meaning to try something like this myself for a while

or why not nomiate yourself for member of the week, if you havent already. that would keep you busy for while (aweek) :)

Common problem with unlimited answers. You are the only one that can answer this question. Start with looking at the work of the masters past present and future. Be sure to look at all mediums not just photography. Put on your favorite music while looking at the work and you will be inspired in no time. Soon you will realize that even the change in your pocket can make a great project.

Thanks for the advice guys, I seem to have decided on sunset shots and macro kitchen shots at the moment, much harder than I thought but I'm learning a lot about lighting and exposure at the same time which is always a good thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back