Instagram kind of sucks.

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by nerwin, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OGsPhotography

OGsPhotography No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like IG for the chronicling effect it had. I mostly only post gardening/ food type and it evolves over time which IG is good for.

If I was to start posting more lifestlye, baby girl photos, like the ones I post here for critique, I would start another account as it wiuld be contrary to the garden/ food stuff.

Hope that helps a bit. I've went to conferences sith talks aboht sociL medi and its all a big racket really. Do what makes you happy. Take a break if your lising sleep ovdt it. It'll still be there tomorrow.

2. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

It's disheartening.

Because you see other photographers or "popular" Instagram users get thousands of likes on a photo that is mediocre and you can post a photo that is outstanding and completely blows away that popular person's photo and you only get 10-15 likes. That user could probably post a pile of dog poop and get thousands of likes.

It isn't fair..you know? But social media is NEVER fair.

3. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Since when did things have to be "fair" in social media? If IG had to be fair, wouldn't we each have to see every single person's photo that got posted? No, we only see who we follow.

You're assuming: (1) Instagram was developed for professional photographers, (2) Instagram is a level playing field, and (3) people are liking the photo's quality.

(1) It's a social media company. It's never been anything but that, except for professional photogs who use it as an additional advertising method.
    (2) The more famous or well-known you are, the more people follow you, thus the more likes your photos get. That just makes sense, because their image is in front of more people than your image. See #1--it's a social media company.
    (3) People are probably liking the content of the photo more than the image quality. I like my friends' photos, because I like my friends. What they're posting is relevant to them, and I support them. There is no image quality standard set, at least not for me. If they post a tilted photo that cut off part of their head while they're in Greece overlooking an amazing landscape with a blown out sky, I'm going to like it. See #1--it's a social media company.

4. nerwin

I give up, I don't wanna pursue this conversation anylonger.

5. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think social media in general does more harm than good for society. I think you should unfollow Instagram.

6. nerwin

I think I should unfollow the world.

7. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Or, be more choosy and follow who and what you want, and the rest of the social media world can go blow! lol

There was once an incident locally and when I first looked at the social media page for that place/organization, I was shocked. It had the most nasty hateful crude rude comments imaginable. People even went after a day care because they had an employee who inadvertently had been involved in the incident - there's no excuse to go after a place like a day care (who had to delete their social media page it was so bad). I was at first stunned and then disgusted and stayed the heck off anything like that.

8. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    youre such a Debbie downer. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. nerwin

680eab95036712d174d5cd98002c2ad2--sick-day-girl-memes.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

I never understood facebook or instagram or twitter. I did facebook for about 2 weeks and realized it was a huge waste of time. Some of the things people posted were just mundane daily things of no real importance even to the original poster. And yet if you have a houndred friends posting similar. You would never get off the computer. Everyone says it's great for "networking" but how do you filter through the "mudane" (bul# #hit)!

11. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I stopped comparing myself to others and just focus on doing my best work. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. nerwin

I'm a bad person because I unfollow just about everyone on Facebook so I don't see their BS..including family. I basically only see photography related things or family/friends who post meaningful things.

I actually left Facebook for over a year and it was the best thing. I came back and was no longer addicted to it. I just use it to share my photos and important moments in my life (which is not much lol).