Insurance and Wedding Packages

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am still working on getting my business started before graduation and figuring out the not so fun details of it to get it going. I know this may be a really stupid question but I was just wondering what kinds of insurance I would need. Luckily to help cut down cost I am working out of my parents basement until I get married in a year or so.. Does home owners insurance cover everything I would need?

I also have a question about wedding packages. Not necessarily costs, but what you include in packages. I know for sure I am going to include a coffee table book from asukabooks. I know several photographers that also offer proofs, but if you do that how many do you include. A big wedding would be hard to narrow down enough and a small wedding you may end up including images that you wouldn't normally just to give them enough.

Any suggestions welcome!

Noelle

As for insurance, I'm not sure...probably best to call an insurance company and just ask them. From what I understand...typical home-owner's insurance should cover your gear (as a hobbyist)...but not if you are using it professionally.

It would probably be wise to get a small business insurance package. This would cover your gear and have some liability protection, in case someone tripped over your camera bag and decided to sue the pants off of you.

As for packages...that is up to you. There are any number of things that you can include or offer. On one hand, you can make a lot of money selling prints, albums, coffee table books etc. On the other hand, it's much easier to just charge them for the files and hand them over on a CD/DVD.

For proofs, you may want to make a proof album (4x6 prints)...or maybe just put the images onto a DVD slide show (which is cheaper for you). As for the number to include...that's up to you and your shooting style.

I have insurance through Farm Bureau and I work out of my home. I added a "business floater policy" to our homeowner's policy. You have to add up all the costs of your equipment, and give a copy of all the reciepts to your agent and that's about it. My policy is for like $7K I think, and I am covered for theft and breakage in my home and on the road. I am also covered if, for instance, someone slips on my cords at a wedding and breaks a leg.....the insurance company will cover their medical costs.
As for packages, I offer a CD with a CR release and then a la carte prints. This keeps things simple for me and keep Brides from buying a whole lot of pictures they don't want. Hope this helps!

Most reactions

Back