Insurance?

mammarazzi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not sure if this is in the correct area. I saw others posting business threads here so I thought I'd give it a shot. So I have decided to turn my hobby into more of a business. I will eventually have an in home studio setup and I know I should cary insurance for that in case a client falls or somthing, but do you have to worry about instances like this when shooting on location either at a clients home or some outdoor location? Thanks so much in advance!

Yes, you probably do. What if your light stand falls and hurts someone? What if your lights start a fire? etc.
What if you can't make it to a wedding and the couple sue you?

Look into photographer's association's....PPA, WPPI etc. They often have a group insurance plan with a company that is familiar with the needs of photographers.

I'm not sure if this is in the correct area. I saw others posting business threads here so I thought I'd give it a shot. So I have decided to turn my hobby into more of a business. I will eventually have an in home studio setup and I know I should cary insurance for that in case a client falls or somthing, but do you have to worry about instances like this when shooting on location either at a clients home or some outdoor location? Thanks so much in advance!
Absolutely, your insurance should also cover location shoots.

Most locations owned by a government, like a public park, require you submit a Certificate of Insurance (COI) and list them as an "additional insured", as well as get a permit before you start making images.

More and more private locations are also requiring a COI and addition of the venue as an additional insured.

Check with your local authorities because most cities/towns won't grant/register a business license if you don't already have business liability insurance in place.

A $1,000,000 policy is usually the minumum required but in todays day and age, many business owners carry at least $2,000,000 in coverage.

Contact your home owners insurance company and ask about having a liability rider added to it. It should protect you on and off site, and you can add a rider to cover any expensive equipment you may have.

I never needed mine, but when the friend of a bride almost tripped and fell on her face, while carrying her newborn, I was sure glad I had it. I even pointed to the bright orange cord and said, "Watch out for the cord, you don't want to trip." She responded, "I see it. Don't worry." She then tripped on the cord and almost fell.

Have Fun,
Jeff

NC is pretty easy to register a business. Just go online and it takes less than 5 minutes. I looked into it when I was living in CA and they said it could take up to six weeks but anyway. Thanks so much for everyones help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back