Interested in lenses for Canon EF mount that have unique signature

I

Iron Flatline

Hi all.

I am VERY tired of super-sharp lenses. I know sharpness is all the rage on the internet, but the images I'm most interested in tend to be softer.

For my Leica M-series, I've been shooting with a 50mm f/1 Noctilux, and absolutely LOVE its uniquely soft, painterly image quality. I'm considering adding the 40mm f/1.4 Nokton for the same reason. They just have more character.

Are there lenses you can recommend for a Canon with an EF mount? I have a D60 and a 5D. I have a LensBaby, but that is a different beast alltogether.

Ok, below some images shot with my Noctilux, to give you an idea of what I mean:

1180991551.jpg

1179556151.jpg

1172865058.jpg

Canon does make the EF 135 f/2.8 L Softfocus if that's what your looking for. They also have three tilt-shift models in 24,45 & 90 mm. Don't have any experience with them though.

Why not do it the old fashion way. Good filter (uv or skylight) some nose grease or a little jar of petrolum jelly. Oh yeah, Lens cleaning solution and lots of lens tissues.

With this method you can experiment with softness. You can also create a center spot that is either untouched or lightly softened. Want to change, just clean the filter.

Hi again Iron... you and I are in the same boat. I haven't made much use of my fast primes since the Noctilux.

Canon EOS is a double edged sword. They are one company that has pushed the technology of producing wonderful lenses which means sharpness was one of their goals. Unfortunately for you, the "painterly" look you are looking for will have to be obtained through the "old fashioned" way as gryphonslair99 suggested. Coken makes wondeful attachments for use with gels (colored ones too).

I personally wasn't too impressed with the soft focus lens from Canon. Didn't like the build... it is an old Canon design that has survived years without update.

Another option is to get an M42 adapter and experiment with older uncoated lenses... Those old lenses produce results that kinda look vintage. Some will require a boost in saturation and contrast to complete the effect.

I found high contrast film, Kodak portra VC, with an older lens will probably give you the same "painter" look...

Then there is photoshop.... anything is possible there.

I personally would just stick to the noctilux and the M8 (for me the R-d1) for this type of images. May I also suggest an adapter for Leica screw mounts too. The Nokton 35mm f1.2 has pretty similar look tot he noctilux if you are looking for something in 35mm focal lengths. The r-d1 has been known to produce more "painterly" results than your M8 which some used as a reason to trade in for the M8. I personally don't mind:

EPSN0930.jpg

Oh yeh.. you brave enough to take apart a "spare" parts lens? Someone in another forum purchased one such lens with an almost opaque front element. They removed it, polished it, and recoated with an eye glasses repair kit (some later did the same without recoating). The sample photos had an interesting look to them.

Interesting usayit - as usual. Thanks for chiming in.

Yes, I'm really considering the Nokton. Apparently the Nokton 40mm comes with an M mount, but I've heard great things about the 35mm.

I think I'm pretty close to unloading my Canon stuff. I think I'm just going to get a Digilux with a couple of lenses to shoot the kids with, and wait for the R10 to come out.

Also... I'm probably going to Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia for two weeks. I'm worried about the M8, and thought about getting a second body. But I think this may be my excuse to get an R-D1 instead :sexywink:

Will you stop trash talking film already? Why don't you just take it back over to dpreview.

i dunno if he was or not.... isnt film naturally softer? those shots reminded me of film photos more than digital...

Yes film is naturally "soft" whilst digital is "Sharp". I am not commenting on the quality of either format, just stating the nature of said formats

Will you stop trash talking film already? Why don't you just take it back over to dpreview.

Dear Max I was not trashing film, as shorty6049 and Relic123 also said film is naturally soft, so that maybe the easiest way to get the effects that Iron Flatline wants

Yes film is naturally "soft" whilst digital is "Sharp". I am not commenting on the quality of either format, just stating the nature of said formats

Digital is "plastic-y"... lol.. I'm joking. For a long time, I couldn't figure out what those film heads on the Leica forums were talking about. I kinda understand now which is why i shoot a mixture of film, digital, and scanned film. Keeps things interesting for me.

Just so everyone knows.. the flower photo I posted is pure digital done with an R-d1 with Noctilux. PS limited to curves and levels adjustment. I'm not bashing film... at least I didn't think so.

Wow Iron.. you really becoming a Leica nut huh? I have been sooo close to offloading my EOS system but I never do. Why? For what it is designed to do, it performs flawlessly. I shot with the 10D for a long time and recently graduated to the 1d mark II... its a dream machine when it comes to technology. The complete opposite end of the spectrum from my Leica. You should handle it some time just for kicks... I guess I'm also hoping to go back and try the photo-side job thing again some day (which means a good DSLR is a must... I'm a 2 job IT person so I've earned a the right to dream a little..) Since you already have the stuff, I would recommend just choosing a either the D60 or 5D and sliming down on the Canon equipment for your shoots with the kids. Either paired with a good lens are more than capable.

The R-D1 would make a wonderful backup to your M8 and is extremely stealthy... much more than the Leica's, MF, and today's DSLRs. I used to shoot with my K1000 or spotmatic a lot to avoid unwanted attention and "tainting" the area with attention to my camera. It also makes it extremely easy to pass myself off as a photography student which has its benefits in of itself... (sometimes it pays to look non-professional). I get the same exact experience shooting with the R-D1... even the "film" advance lever completes the whole non-digital-old film camera look. lol. There are clear advantages to the M8 which you should read up on before considering the R-D1. Unfortunately, they are getting pretty darn hard to obtain now that Epson doesn't make or carry them. Mine was a refurb with a very slight misalignment in he rangefinder (nothing too bad) purchased for around $1200 as a reference.

If I were preparing for a trip like yours (i'm jealous.. hehehe), I'd just pack the M8 and M3 with lenses of your choice in a regular looking bag.. non-camera-bag lookin (I use an Old Navy messenger bag with Domke padded inserts) Make sure everything is properly insured. Cover the M8's obvious markings, turn off the rear display, and shoot without previewing the images.. shoot as if it were a film camera. I also wouldn't hang the thing around your neck either. I use a wrist strap and keep the camera low to my side until I'm ready to shoot. My choice of an M8 would have been black so that is a plus on the side of being stealthy.

I'll tell you what... lets trade my R-D1 for your M8 and call it even... heheh e lol joking...

BTW.. which framelines does the Nokton 40mm bring up on the Leica?

Hmmm...I know I said I want softer, but what I really mean is that I am tired of razor-sharp. Those are different things, although I understand that they're also in many ways opposites. I would like a lens with a unique signature, something that isn't just about accurate rendition. What I want is something other than what most of my Canon L-lenses do super well: a near life-like capture.

I have shot thousands of rolls of film in my life, and know the difference - most film is plenty sharp in the right camera behind the right lens. There's always the option of shooting something like Velvia or Ektachrome if I want a certain extreme look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back