Interested in setting up a small darkroom...but

DaveD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
have a few questions that I have not been able to find threw searches. First off I have just started taking Photo 1 in college to fill req credits but have found that it is quite enjoyable. So with that said I have deceided to build a small darkroom to enable me to continue printing after class has ended since I do not need the credits after this class. I have aquired a bessler 23c and will be picking up other various supplies during build of room. But my main question is do I "have to" have running water in the room as this may cause a bigger problem unless it was a movable darkroom (would have to be in bathroom) and what is the smallest room that would be usable? I have the tendancies to "build BIG" as my wife tells me, so looking for some advice from people who have the experience.

thanks for the help in advance,
Dave

have a few questions that I have not been able to find threw searches. First off I have just started taking Photo 1 in college to fill req credits but have found that it is quite enjoyable. So with that said I have deceided to build a small darkroom to enable me to continue printing after class has ended since I do not need the credits after this class. I have aquired a bessler 23c and will be picking up other various supplies during build of room. But my main question is do I "have to" have running water in the room as this may cause a bigger problem unless it was a movable darkroom (would have to be in bathroom) and what is the smallest room that would be usable? I have the tendancies to "build BIG" as my wife tells me, so looking for some advice from people who have the experience.

thanks for the help in advance,
Dave
Instead of developing trays, you can use what is called color drums. I used to do all my printing in the attic and my developing in the kitchen. I don't know if drums are still made, but there should be many available on the used market.

There is no need to have running water. A water cooler is nice, but it's possible to bring water in a pail at the start of a session.

What's more important in a darkroom is fresh air. Get it ventilated properly.

What's more important in a darkroom is fresh air. Get it ventilated properly.

I've heard this a few times, but I've never found it a problem for B&W printing.

All the chemicals use water as a solvent.

It's commonly misunderstood that Smells=Fumes.

I don't mean to be blase' about risk, proper precautions should be taken but knowledge is better than baseless fears.

I do use some nasty chemicals, including some that emit fumes, but I like trying unusual things like toning, bleaching, pushing with peroxide, using intensifiers....etc..etc..

Plain old printing with Dektol, acetic stop, Thio-based fixer?....a tad smelly, (vinegary) but not dangerous by any means.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back