Interesting copywright question.

dpolston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am sitting here eating last nights left over pizza and a question popped into my head.

I enjoy spending time with my friends and family and occationally we goof around taking photos with my camera. If they take a cool shot using my equiptment, who has rights to copyright the photo? Me (cause it's my digital image or on my film) or the actual shooter?

This question can go for photographers that have other people shooting on assignment on as a second shooter with them. I worked for a studio when I was younger and way less business savy, but I never thought to ask.

Just curious.

imo whoever took the photo has the legal rights. Doesn't matter what camera they use.
Because, if you hand your camera to someone... I guess that's kind of saying. "here, have fun"

But, if it is in a work environment I would suspect that they would be your employee... which would then say that the photo was taken under "The Business"

For instance, if a photographer is working for the city. The photographer will get in trouble if he goes and tries to sell the photo on his own. If he is freelance, he can do whatever he wants with the photo.

(BTW - I'm not trying to dog my friends out of credit they deserve, it's just a "think about it" question)

Unless it's a business arrangement the photo belongs to who took it... owning the equipment doesn't give you rights.

Unless it's a business arrangement the photo belongs to who took it... owning the equipment doesn't give you rights.

Dewey's right.
The business arrangement would be if your employer asked you to take images. No matter what equipment you used, the image copyright belongs to the company. Not you or even your boss who asked you (unless he owns the company of course!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back