Interesting: Nikon filed a patent for a full frame mirrorless lens

Bracketing with a rotation of a polarizing filter?

That sounds interesting :1219:

Can't imagine that Nikon isn't developing DX/FX MILC platforms. They're fast approaching the DSLR/MILC crossroads.

Last edited:
So says NikonRumors.com:
Interesting: Nikon filed a patent for a full frame mirrorless lens | Nikon Rumors

I just hope the new system will be compatible with the F mount.
It's not physically possible for it to be compatible with F mount due to registry distances. Just do what every Sony A7 owner has done, get an adapter. ;) Hopefully Nikon won't make the same mistake as Sony with the lens mount though. Sony took a mount designed for APS-C lenses and crammed a full frame sensor behind it. If Nikon goes to a mirrorless full 35mm camera I hope they develop it with an appropriately sized lens mount. Meanwhile I'm waiting for the rumored Mamiya medium format rangerfinder with the Sony sensor. I'd be all about a mirrorless medium format camera. :)

My hope, in fact, is that Nikon can develop a "DSLR" mirror less camera, something like a "DSLR" camera with no mirror, and with an EVF, accepting the current F mount lenses on it (D/G/AI-S), making all one single compatible system between DSLR and mirror less, with no needs for adapters. I believe this is possible, but don't know if that's the path for Nikon... Time will tell...

Basically, you want them to make an SLR, and then take out the mirror? That sounds completely pointless and I just don't see it happening. It would make the camera body unnecessarily large, also, you loose the other benefit of the shorter registry distance, smaller lenses (in some focal lengths). Lenses that are shorter than the registry distance have to be retrofocal (they have to focus the image internally and then project it out the back). This makes them much larger than they need to be. It's why my 35 1.4 is larger than my 50 1.2. Nikon can simply make an adapter, just as Sony has, that can communicate with and control all of their preexisting lenses. If all you ever want to use on it are other Nikon lenses then just don't take the adapter off.

That's why I said this:
"I believe this is possible, but don't know if that's the path for Nikon..."

I don't quite get the mirrorless 35mm market as such.

I mean sure you can make the body a bit smaller because you don't have to have the mirror system in place; but the lens is still going to be the same size (unless you go for pancake lenses and other fancy things). So you're not cutting down on much bulk.

Also you've still the issue that its likely going to burn more battery than a DSLR and also the viewfinder image is not going to be "as" fast as the reflective mirrors.

Though I guess for under 100mm lenses and for general (ie not action) photography it could find a market. I just think that market segment might already be quite swamped already.

I mean sure you can make the body a bit smaller because you don't have to have the mirror system in place; but the lens is still going to be the same size (unless you go for pancake lenses and other fancy things). So you're not cutting down on much bulk.

Also you've still the issue that its likely going to burn more battery than a DSLR and also the viewfinder image is not going to be "as" fast as the reflective mirrors.

Though I guess for under 100mm lenses and for general (ie not action) photography it could find a market. I just think that market segment might already be quite swamped already.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why people care so much about a FX mirrorless. I like my FX DSLR 'cause it's big! :)

For me size isn't really the biggest issue. The ability to use any lens, as well as having live view in the viewfinder with native focus peaking are the bigger draws. Being able to mount the camera on the back of a view camera and get larger movements than are available with an SLR (due to the shorter registry distance which lets you get more movement before shadows become and issue). :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back