Interesting sensor review of the 1D4

Status
Not open for further replies.

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found Clarkvision.com some time ago when looking for another site similar to DXO Labs.

They recently published the findings of their rather involved sensor test of the new Canon 1D Mark IV. Here's the article:

Clarkvision.com: Canon 1D Mark IV Sensor Analysis

I'll post the conclusion and let you guys/gals read the full technical details if you're so inclined.

The Canon 1D Mark IV sensor sets new performance standards, including higher sensitivity per pixel (a combination of filter transmittance times effective fill factor times quantum efficiency), lower read noise, and lower fixed pattern noise. Hopefully the new technology that went into this sensor will makes its way into other cameras as well. That will enable a new era in performance, especially for high ISO / low light photography.

Dynamic range is still limited to a little over 11-stops, apparently by downstream electronics that must process the data extremely fast (at 10 frames per second; that is over 160 megapixels/second). I would like to see a camera option that used a slow 16-bit A/D converter and low noise amplifiers to deliver data with the full capability of the sensor, which is 15 stops. Even if it took 10 seconds to read out the sensor (longer readout times are used in scientific applications), there are situations where high dynamic range imaging would benefit.
It appears the 1D4 turns in some of the most impressive results of any camera they've ever tested. It's also interesting to note that the camera has an amazing dynamic range (also noted in DPReviews tests) but even more interesting is that the sensor's abilities are hobbled by the "downstream electronics". Apparently the sensor is capable of producing so much data that it overwhelms the processors and thus is hobbled to only 11 stops (which is still quite impressive) of dynamic range.

I've read that Canon is focusing on some interesting new technologies with their sensor designs and that the 1D4 was a transitional body that employed several of their new technologies. It would appear, based on these tests, that this is indeed the case. Perhaps the next generation of bodies will make full use of the 15 stops of dynamic range that Canon is now able to produce with their sensors. It sucks they couldn't make use of it in this release... :(

omg... dude just stfu about the 1D4 for a day.

I'm so fed up of you trying to vindicate yourself over, and over, and over, of your expenditure of this thing, seriously don't kid yourself..

IT'S JUST A F*CKING CAMERA!!!

:banghead:

I've no idea where this is going, but perhaps it shouldn't bother trying. If people want to post about Canon, that's fine. If people want to post about Nikon, that's fine. If people want to read about neither, that's also fine. If you want to put someone on 'ignore' then maybe I wouldn't be writing this (edit works well too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back