International Aid Photography. I need advice.

Discussion in 'Personal and Professional Photography Websites' started by JakeLyellphoto, Feb 16, 2007.

1. JakeLyellphoto

JakeLyellphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all. I'm new to the forum. I've just recently quit my 9-5 and I'm trying to get into international aid photography, working for companies like Christian Children's fund and what not. My website is
    www.jakelyell.com
    any advice and feedback in this regard would be very helpful and appreciated.
    Thanks
    -j

2. shanstar

shanstar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    just wondering..
    Are those companies for real? I always see ads to send them money and sponsor a child.. but how much actually goes to the people who need it?

3. Oldfireguy

Oldfireguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are for real but you should always check out any site before sending money. Some give as much as 80-90% to the children and some don't. Again, check them out.

I live very close to the World Vision Headquarters and they have their own photographers. My advice would be to contact the groups and find out how they get their photographs. I've shot for a couple of mission groups but on my own in Mexico, Chile, and Peru.

If I told you how much money I make doing it you would get depressed and go back to work. Most of these groups survive on donations and are always underfunded. Photographers end up wearing several hats.

I do wish you the best of luck.

4. JakeLyellphoto

JakeLyellphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oldfireguy, thanks for being honest! Maybe I can bug these agencies and get a staff job at some point.
    -jake