Interview/Portfolio Advice From Professionals?

GoM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Interview at a studio friday morning.

They want a portfolio.

So, I think I've picked a couple shots I want to include, but I need to re-shoot a couple of them, which I'm about to do now (cardboard box + desk lamps ftw). I'm getting my dad to actually do the printing for me from his work tommorrow, which allows this to get done in the first place.

So, with that in place, any advice from professionals or those in the business out there? I realize it's a pretty open-ended question, but basically, if anyone here has had a photography-related interview...what kind of questions were you asked? What did you tell them? etc...I'm a pretty good interviewer, and I think if it doesn't work out it will be because I don't have a strong enough portfolio (mainly due to the constraints of limited hands-on experience in a studio...pretty much nil), and not how I interview, but you never know.

Cheers.

-Stu

I would print the photos yourself. They will need to be the absolute best. Plan on them putting a lot of weight into your portfolio. Of course a lot of the process depends on the position you are applying for etc. Spill some details and we can help further.

The interviews I had as an assistant were very casual. They liked my work, but were mainly like "can you start today". When I applied for jobs as a photographer it was all about my work. Main thing to remember about the interview process is that they are looking for someone they can get along with. If you are applying for an assistant position let them know that you are a hard worker and willing to get cofffee or whatever.

love & BASS

Hehe, as much as I'd love to actually do the printing myself, I'm at uni still now until later tonight, and my dad works at an ad company, adn therfore has access to printers. I've sent him the adjusted (though not re-sized) images I picked out (10 plus a couple backups), and it should turn out alright, as I've done 8x10 prints from my camera before, and it turned out fine. I can pretty much gaurantee they'll see 100 more professional portfolios than mine in a day, but as it is an assistant's gig, I think I can do well based on the interview + personality bit.

90% shot at a summer's job as an (unpaid) intern :)

At this point...I have other jobs I can earn money at, but the kind of opportunities that are at this place would be invaluable, as EVERYTHING you can learn at my stage is valuable. So, provided they can find a place for me, and it obviously depends on business, but I could be in :)

Interview at a studio friday morning.

They want a portfolio.

So, I think I've picked a couple shots I want to include, but I need to re-shoot a couple of them, which I'm about to do now (cardboard box + desk lamps ftw). I'm getting my dad to actually do the printing for me from his work tommorrow, which allows this to get done in the first place.

So, with that in place, any advice from professionals or those in the business out there? I realize it's a pretty open-ended question, but basically, if anyone here has had a photography-related interview...what kind of questions were you asked? What did you tell them? etc...I'm a pretty good interviewer, and I think if it doesn't work out it will be because I don't have a strong enough portfolio (mainly due to the constraints of limited hands-on experience in a studio...pretty much nil), and not how I interview, but you never know.

Cheers.

-Stu

Hey Stu;

Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of photography do you do and what kind of photography are they looking for?

Ben

Well, they weren't even looking for photographers anyway...it's a studio of 13 guys, and what they were looking for is a position for an unpaid internship to help around. They were looking for a full-out assistant also, but I don't have the experience (yet) or training (yet) for the kind of demands of that job...yet...but hey, it'll still be one HELL of a learning experience.

They shoot mostly advertising and 'professional' stuff, btw

edit: What I want to do is newsjournalism. However, photography is a tough enough field as is, let alone in that sub-division, so I'll follow wherever the opportunities go...at this point in time, any experience is a learning one, though

It's hard to imagine why they want a portfolio for an unpaid intern position. Your work will be things like setting up backgrounds, moving equipment back and forth, inventorying products coming in and out of the studio, maybe even holding things in position during a shoot. I had a 2 photographer commercial studio. Our assistant was a woman who also did the accounting. She was a competent photographer and we let her use the studio whenever it wasn't in use but basically she didn't do any of the commercial photography. She did some portrait shooting there on Sundays as a sideline. Fine with us.

I had to interview for virtually every new client. I got some business by referral but I still had to interview to get the account most of the time. I carried a box with 8X10 prints mounted on 11X14 matte board as a portfolio. It would get tattered after several interviews and I would replace them as needed. What Craig said is completely correct. The portfolio is very important. It showed the client what you could do for them just like it would show a prospective employer the same thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back