Intro: Me

Canon John

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey ya'll,

My name is John Cowan, and I have been shooting for nearly 10 years. I got into this at, I believe, the most exiting time in photographic history. The year was 2000, and the exciting part was the coming of the digital revolution.

I started out shooting color print film, and soon move to B&W. I stuck with that for nearly a year before a wise old photog advised me to try shooting slides. This was the best advice I had even gotten for photography. Slides were, and I believe, still are the best way to learn proper exposure, and the importance thereof.

In 2003 I made the jump to digital with a Minolta DiMage 7i. At the time it was one of the best cameras around for the wary film user looking to try out the digi thing. I really opened up a whole new world for me, especially in the realm of editing. Something I could not do on my own before digital; not without a scanner or a pair of scissors and a big print… :p

At this point in time I am shooting with a Canon EOS 30D, 70-200 f/4L USM, 50mm f/1.8, and a Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX HSM. I also use a Sunpak flash gun and a set of Kenko Canon AF macro extension tubes.

I am a former moderator of the galleries, and 2 forums on photographyreviw.com, though I left a year ago due to time constraints. My main subjects of interest are nature, animals/wildlife, and people. I have had several aquariums over the years, and I use them as miniature studios for fish photography.

Here are some examples of my recent work…

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

_IGP0374.jpg

_MG_4591.jpg

IMG_4534.jpg

Poorly rendered HDR, I am just getting into this myself...
IMG_4371_69_70_tonemapped.jpg

Panorama made from 5 combined images...

And, of course, the man himself...
IMG_4296.jpg

Thanks!

Welcome, John :) Enjoy your time here.

On a sidenote, it's funny that even though we have an introduction board, you get these topics popping up everywhere, heh! ;)

Welcome, John :) Enjoy your time here.

On a sidenote, it's funny that even though we have an introduction board, you get these topics popping up everywhere, heh! ;)

Oops!

It's too far down the list! I looked until I hit the subject forums and I gave up. Usually you see that at the top of the page. :oops:

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Oops!

It's too far down the list! I looked until I hit the subject forums and I gave up. Usually you see that at the top of the page. :oops:

It is a bit, isn't it? I probably wouldn't have found it on a first look without lurking for a while beforehand!

Hehehe, I didn't even know there was one. :D

Hi John! Welcome in!

It is a bit, isn't it? I probably wouldn't have found it on a first look without lurking for a while beforehand!
LOL,

The whole reason I went looking for new forums was to find a new one to dive right into. I suppose I could have given it a better once over first...:p

Hehehe, I didn't even know there was one. :D

Hi John! Welcome in!

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back