Introducing myself....with a few questions :P

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Im Damian. Im 25 from Missouri. I've been pointing and shooting for years now but i've finally decided to take the leap into the more serious side of photography. Ive been doing a lot of research and ive read several threads here about dslr cameras. I think ive narrowed my choice to two. Either the Canon Rebel XT, or the Nikon D80. (am I doing good in these choices? lol ) The majority of my photography, at least for now, will be portraits. Senior pictures and such. Would anyone be able to suggest maybe a good lens at a reasonable price for doing this kind of photography? The only real effects im looking for are those beautifully crisp eyes, and that blurred background. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Damian

Either of those cameras will work just fine for you. The lenses are the important part of the equation.

As far as "crisp eyes and blurred background" go, you'll probably want to take a course, or home-school yourself on at least the basics of aperature, shutter speed and film speed to get an idea of how those 3 things interact to make a photo.

Welcome to the forum.

Either of those would be good cameras.

There is no need to post the same question in different places on the forum.

Hello and welcome. I recommend that you size then both out as these are fine cameras, check how they feel in your hands and the ease of operation and then go from there.

Welcome to the forum.

I have the XT and have had no complaints for my first DSLR. Depending on your experience check out some books at your local library and learn the basics. Exposure, Lighting, Posing, etc.

Welcome to the forum.

I had my mind set on the Canon, but went with the Nikon. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Good luck.

I always hear great things about the 50mm. For Nikon and Canon. Fast lens-->shallow DOF-->blurry background. A very inexpensive lens too.

I have a Canon 400d digital rebel and love it. I am sure the Nikon is just as nice...

A good book to read is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It give you basics as well as "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby. These are easy to understand in my opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back