Introduction

sb2nsf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, my name is Shauna and this is my first post although I've been lurking for a few weeks. I consider myself a lover of photography despite not knowing much about the logistics behind it. I've only used a point & shoot (Canon A700) and only in auto mode. But I've always desired to take a class and learn more. I have finally taken an opportunity to do so as I have a trip to Bali coming up in just 10 days and I am very excited to capture amazing pictures there. To sweeten the deal, a friend has loaned me his Nikon D80 with Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 lens and another friend loaned me his Nikon 18-135 mm lens (can't remember offhand the f/?).

So for the past few weeks I've been reading a ton (books like Understanding Exposure and online) as well as fiddling around with the D80's settings in the house and outdoors. No more auto for me! So far I'm most liking shooting in A mode because it gives the feel I'm looking for. I don't shoot action much although I would like to get those great water moving effects when I visit some waterfalls in Bali (sorry for sounding like a total newbie!).

Anyways, not many questions for you at the moment, although I would like your advice on taking only the 18-135mm lens to Bali (if the f stop is similar). Since this is all borrowed equipment I don't really want to be switching lenses constantly. And for the type of photography I like to do, the 50mm just isn't enough.

Speaking of, my "style" or desired subject is a lot of architecture and landscape. I actually really hate taking pictures of people for some reason. My husband is always teasing me that if I like photography so much why don't I bring my camera to parties and events. But that's just not what I enjoy shooting. Now Paris and France in general was a dream! So to give you an idea of my aesthetic here are a few of my favorite pictures I've taken. Mind you these are only with my A700 on auto. Also, I have PS Elements 5.0 but really only know how to use it for simple editing. More than needing a photography class I need a Photoshop class. I learn new computer programs very easily but this one is difficult for me once I get into layers.

By the way, my friend says if I fall in love with the D80 to make him an offer and it's mine. Would you recommend that for a newbie? What lenses or other equipment would you also suggest?

Thanks for reading and looking. Any comments, pointers, C&C, encouragement appreciated!

1. Small town in northern France. Simple b&w conversion although I'm sure there's a better way.
IMG_0400.jpg

2. Castle garden in the Loire Valley. Ditto above.
IMG_0409copy.jpg

3. Art installation at the Jardin de Luxembourg in Paris. I really wish I hadn't cut off the nose of the face's reflection in the water.
IMG_0072.jpg

4. Same art display at the Jardin de Luxembourg. This was a see-through canvas that hung in the trees with this picture on it.
IMG_0067a.jpg

5. Sunset in Fiji. Every night was a different color and so vivid (although this has been slightly touched up in Picasa I think).
IMG_0763.jpg

Hello all, my name is Shauna and this is my first post although I've been lurking for a few weeks.

Welcome!

I would like your advice on taking only the 18-135mm lens to Bali (if the f stop is similar).

I think that's fine lens for your trip. You will get LOTS of advice about using a "fast" lens or "bright glass." I don't think this is any concern to you. The reason so many folks feel that's the way to go is simply that they work hand-held.... without a tripod. Also, they will tell you about shallow depth of field that can be achieved with wide-open apertures.

But if you are primarily making photos of buildings and landscapes, you will want more depth of field anyway.

So, take a tripod. Don't be afraid of long exposures... even more than 1 second.

The lens will give you a great range of choices.

Good luck!
-Pete

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think the 18-135 lens will work great for you. I have a similar lens and it is all I use, (although I want many more...).

I would recommend a circular polarizer for the lens. It will help you with landscapes and oceanscapes. I never take mine off the lens.

I would also buy an extra memory card, and perhaps an extra battery. If you are out shooting for a long time, you will want a fresh battery.

The D80 is a great camera, and if you like it, I wouldn't hesitate to make a good offer. Look at sites such as B&H or Adorama to get price comparisons and use that as a starting point. A quick search showed a D80 for sale (body only) for $475.00.

Be sure to post photos here when you get back.

-Andy

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help and encouragement. I will be sure to post pics when I'm back from Bali for C&C. How bad can I mess up pictures from such a gorgeous location right?! ;)

Welcome aboard and have fun on your trip.

Most reactions

Back