iPad as a portfolio?

I can't say if its decent to present a portfolio on an iPad since the photos are supposed to be printed, but the iPad has a wow effect on people as it is quite new and not many use it. I would suggest using an iPad in a photo shoot just to give the client an idea what the photos look like as it is quite easy to download pictures directly from the camera into the iPad. It can also be used as a storage device if anything.

This is the accessory which makes this happen on the fly.

I use my Ipad to show people some shot on the fly. Say I am out at an event and somebody approaches me asking to see some work. I was at a business meeting a couple weeks back and on a break I got top talking about photography with somebody and it was nice to have the Ipad handy to be able to show some pics quickly. I am also just an armature and I have not sold any work so that end of the business isn't really a factor for me.

I'm pretty sure the price will drop considerably as the other pads are way cheaper. I was reading a report where they were saying the price of the iPhone will drop again, guess they want to sell as many as possible instead of having people keep using the older models.

I like the idea for several reasons:

1. Handy. Take it anywhere.
2. In the long run, cheaper than printing out new books to showcase your latest work. You're always up to date.
3. You can also take notes during a meeting with clients.
4. Clients think it's cool - and it is.
5. Color is awesome.
6. 1st or second generation (this June??), it gets the job done.
7. If you do expos, you can set up a slideshow, prop it up and let it play.
8. Digital contracts - no paper, clients sign right then and there on the iPad.

The cool factor won't wear off any time soon. You're not likely to be "outdated" in the next couple of years, so why not? I'm saving my pennies for one or hoping Santa Claus gets me one for my birthday. It's Santa that brings you birthday presents, right? :lmao:

There was a discussion about this the other night. And iPad is a great device for showing your photos if you happen to be out and just need to show some one some of your work, but if you're meeting a client, especially an AD, print will be a much better idea. The resolution on the iPad isn't spectacular for one thing and besides the fact that they're becoming common place enough now so that it doesn't have any real wow factor, it's not showing something an AD could see by you sending them photos or a link to on online portfolio.

You're selling yourself and making an impression. I think a large photo book is a much better idea for a portfolio. That way, you can lay out the pages and show the person you're selling yourself too what you really have instead of your photos on that neat little gadget.

I use my iPad as a quick portfolio when I run into a prospect at events, socials etc... I also have pricing, contracts and releases all ready to e-mail to the client on the fly. Its small, light and the battery has never died on me. It has replaced my old organizer. I can do all this on my iPhone but I like the bigger screen. All that said, you can also do all this with a laptop, tablet pc, netbook, etc... It's all up to you. I do not show proofs or take orders using that. I send my clients a link to their private online ordering site or print proofs if they prefer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back