iPad Pro and Photography workflow

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone here use an iPad Pro for retouching or as part of their photography workflow?
I'm trying to justify getting the new 10.5" iPad Pro.

I'm getting mixed answers about shooting tethered with an iPad Pro. Does not seem to support RAW completely :(
How about using it to triage images from a shoot?

I often shoot on location (and do not own a laptop) and am wondering how good an iPad Pro would be in terms of providing proofs and instant feedback for clients.

I can use the SD to Lightning adapter to bring the photos right onto the iPad and tweak it for social media instantly.

Don't mind me rambling. I'm just trying to justify a rather pricey new toy.

Let me know if you find the justification. I want one too!

I don't own an iPad Pro, but I have been considering something very similar, Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

It basically is a laptop and I could tether to LR/PS/Capture One, edit where ever. Supports good pen editing or plug my Wacom table in for more precise pen work. And I can dock it for duel monitors, external HD...etc.

I don't own an iPad Pro, but I have been considering something very similar, Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

It basically is a laptop and I could tether to LR/PS/Capture One, edit where ever. Supports good pen editing or plug my Wacom table in for more precise pen work. And I can dock it for duel monitors, external HD...etc.
I looked at the Surface Pro. Holy Jeeze it was expensive. And it's harder to just use it to watch movies on the plane (real reason)

Let me know if you find the justification. I want one too!
you have an XT2, you can tether an iPad Pro to that camera wirelessly.

I played around with one at Best Buy and fell in love. My wife said no as soon as she saw my eyes widen.

I was surprised at how easy editing was in the mobile PS app (using the sample photos). The Apple Pencil was awesome. Not exactly Wacom quality, but very nice.

I have a 9.7" iPad Pro that I use for occasional photo tweaking, although I generally stick to a desktop machine for any real editing. There are two items to consider on this device:
  • White balance/calibration: I find the colors to be pretty good on an iPad (Pro), but you need to make sure True Tone is disabled, otherwise it tries to match the color temp of the ambient light in the room, which messes with how it displays the white balance in your images. Obviously leave Night Shift disabled as well, or you'll end up with a dim yellow cast over everything when using it at night.
  • Brightness will change based on room lighting, making exposure settings difficult to gauge. Leaving it set to Auto-Brightness and avoiding direct sunlight seems to keep it pretty close, but obviously not as good as a calibrated display on a desktop machine under controlled lighting.

I played around with one at Best Buy and fell in love. My wife said no as soon as she saw my eyes widen.

I was surprised at how easy editing was in the mobile PS app (using the sample photos). The Apple Pencil was awesome. Not exactly Wacom quality, but very nice.
duh! moral of the story: don't go into BestBuy with your wife.

Most reactions

Back