iPhone or Samsung?

Discussion in 'Cell Phone Cameras & Camera Phones' started by intentanalyst, Sep 4, 2016.

1. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Apparently our local editorial cartoonist was thinking of you today. :smile-new:
    samsung.png

2. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

came in my Twitter feed...the one I signed up for to follow the Super 8 progress in which I have received no updates.
    Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 10.43.10.png

3. PaulWog

PaulWog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm late to the party, but this subsection is slow so I figure it's fine.

I have never liked the argument of "It's the photographer that counts, any camera is the best camera in a good photographer's hands."

Sadly, and I say this gently and not targeted at anyone here, that saying is often touted by users who follow up by posting quite sad photos. Technical errors, poor artistic vision, composed poorly, etc. For the phrase to mean something, it preferably should come out of the mouth of someone who is capable of backing it up.

I argue a less polarized opinion: There is no one phrase, or small saying, that can sum up which camera is best. The best camera truly depends on your expectations, and what you want to use the camera for. It is true that a photo out of a worse camera will look better than a photo out of a better camera, IF the composition and technical abilities of the photographers differ.

I enjoy photography, but I also enjoy snapping photos. Sometimes I just don't care about composition. If I pick up an iPhone 4, and an iPhone 7, guess which is going to do a better selfie on the sidewalk at 9pm at night? Guess which is going to do a better quick pic sitting at a dim restaurant booth? Some photos are only made possible by the raw technical superiority of a modern camera, while other photos are only complimented by better technology but not enabled by it.

I'm really interested in the iPhone 7 Plus. It seems to offer some awesome features.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AndyG

AndyG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Software wise, the IPhone will function better for longer. I always had a problem with my Android devices getting sluggish. I've noticed this among a lot of other Androids as well. Recently went to a concert where drones of people were snapping pics. Every droid I saw took several seconds to focus and snap a pic. Whereas the iPhones were just plugging away.

Used to be a Samsung/Droid fanatic. I went iPhone a couple years ago and haven't looked back. Although, Samsung pics always seemed a tad bit crisper looking. I haven't really taken a lot of pics with my 7+ yet, but, the depth feature is kinda neat.

This is my poor example(excuse the poor focus, I was drinking when I took this and it's just an example of the bokeh effect that it's capable of right out of the box). I'll have to play with this more in the future.

[​IMG]

Here's the non-bokeh version.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    On my windows 10 machine the Windows Picture Software has a bokeh effect, very similar to above where a circular pattern is created for bokeh. Great for faces and such but anything with length you have to select what part (such as someone's face) is going to be in focus and what part (such as their body) is going to get the Bokeh/OOF effect. I see the same circular effect with the bullet can opener.

6. AndyG

AndyG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I wish I'd tried changing the focus to the tip of the can opener just to see if it's something similar to that. Which, I'm sure it is as it's still in beta. But, it's only available on the 7+ with two lenses. So, I think it's a mixture of both lenses and software.

7. EYESOFICE83

EYESOFICE83 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    wait to fix the Note 7 issue. I have the s7 Edge and well its not the Note 7

8. table1349

You mean when hell freezes over??? They killed the Note 7 for good.
    Samsung will 'dispose of' recalled Note 7 phones, won't repair or refurbish them

9. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

That article was from October.

As of right now, Samsung might be refurbishing the Note 7's with smaller batteries...probably ones that are in the S7.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 reported to maybe make a comeback...with a smaller battery

10. table1349

Yep, that's a definite rumored Maybe. This would be my guess for their direction.

"Meanwhile, Samsung is preparing to launch the Galaxy S8,"

11. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I'll probably just get an S8 now. Still not replaced my old phone yet :cower:. Maybe I'll just buy some new camera gear instead!

12. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I sold camera gear to get the Galaxy S7. Haha.

• Funny Funny x 1