IPhoto Question

nikon90s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What sufex should I use in iphoto? I saved a bunch of pics as .jpeg but have problems opening some of them. Also I have two copys of each pic the .jpeg and a .jpeg copy. I have PS V but it really suck on this mac, it ran much better on my windows puter, I can't even print from PS V for some reason. This is my first mac so....

Which OS have you got and what version of iPhoto and PS?
I use Macs exclusively and don't have any problems with PS or iPhoto - both of which I use a lot.
Sounds like you have some other problems that need sorting.
But I can't help until I know more.

I have a new computer and all my software is upto date. I know i have OS X and PS V (going to get the newest PS ASAP) Iphoto 5.0.1.
Thanks

The first thing you need to do is back up important files like pictures, documents, mp3s and so on to CD or DVD. Just in case.
Open Applications > Utilities and run Disk Utility
Select your hard drive and repair permissions.

Next go to the Apple site and download Onyx. It's free.
OS X, being Unix based, is designed to be left running 24hrs. In the early morning (daily, weekly and monthly) it runs various maintenance scripts. If you only turn the Mac on when you want to use it these scripts never get to run. Onyx allows you to run the scripts whenever you want. Run them.
See if that improves things. If it doesn't get back to me.

You can - but if you use Onyx you don't have to. I only have my computer on when I use it (laptop) and I use Onyx to run the scripts once a week.
My eldest son leaves his computer on 24/7. The net result of both is the same.
You should also check for software updates. Even though your computer is new Apple are constantly revising and updating the OS - and a new security patch comes out every month.
You can program the Mac to check for updates automatically or you can click on the Apple top left corner and click on Software Update.
For non-Apple software use the Version Tracker site.

Older versions of PS weren't optimized for OSX. Even version 6 was a dog to use. I'd say until you update your software, PS will be slow regardless.

I also notice that PS CS on my mac starts slower than on my friends winXP, but after that, my processing times for various effects is better.

Repairing your permissions and running your cron scripts can't hurt, but I think with a new computer you aren't going to see dramatic improvement (its pretty close to where it should be already). I wouldn't say updates come out every month (which would still be better than every other day on a wintel machine), but you should check once a month to be safe.

Welcome to the Apple side of things. Once you get confortable with the differences, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.

You can also run these cron tasks from the command line (Terminal). Once you feel you're ready, head over to macdevcenter.com and look into some of the articles. They vary in difficulty, but there are some good primers (check "Terminal App and Unix" for some beginner articles on command line).

I never thought I'd become a command line junkie (I don't even know DOS), but the more I play, the more I like it.

Printing out of PS is slow so it might be that you are jumping the gun assuming an image is not going to print, while it is still processing. You shouldn't have to append the suffix of your images and you may have switched a preference on or off that is causing you problems. Also iPhoto gets really buggy if you've got a lot of images in your library. there are good discussions in iPhoto support at apple.com

I used PS Cs2 on my mac and works fine, also have Iphoto but I prefer Iview media or adobe bridge

Most reactions

New Topics

Back