IQ comparison: Sigma 70-200 F2.8 VS. Tamron 28-70 F2.8

Which one of these lenses has higher quality glass, and produce the best images? I'm aware that they have different focal lengths, I was just curious as to which one's image quality is better. The Sigma is $300 more than the Tamron, but its focal lengths are much longer. Your insight is appreciated.

Well, you are talking apples and oranges since the focal length is NOT the same. The tamron 70mm to 200mm 2.8 has excellent IQ throughout its range according to Popular Photography but users complain about its less than fast, effective, autofocus. The Sigma 70mm to 200mm has better autofocu but the IQ reduces as it goes out beyond 100 to 200mm to very good...again according to Popular Photography.

So check the autofocus on your tamron consideration, as well as the tested IQ.

skieur

There is a new version of the Sigma 70-200 out now and it was reviewed in the latest issue of Popular Photography. It got very good ratings and was compared to the Tamron of the same focal range. The review is not on the web site yet, so you may want to pick up a copy if you want to read the review. It sounds like a very good lens for the money.

I realize I'm not comparing the same focal lengths, but surely it cannot be hard to compare the Tamron at 50 and the sigma at 70?

Well, you are talking apples and oranges since the focal length is NOT the same...

...surely it cannot be hard to compare the Tamron at 50 and the sigma at 70?

Surely it cannot be hard to compare orange slices at a 3rd grade soccer game, and apples soaking in butter awaiting their utopia in America's favorite pie.

But seriously, both are relatively sharp lenses. Your next step is to decide which focal length you need.

The Nikon 80-200 2.8 might be a better pick than the sigma. Personally I would never buy a Tamron lens either. Only rarely do off brands produce a decent lens but the canon or Nikon equivalent will always be better.

Your 18-70 is probably sharper than the Tamron and you don't even gain a full stop from 3.5 to 2.8.

Only rarely do off brands produce a decent lens .

Huh? Not sure what you mean by 'off brand'. I have Canon lenses as well as Sigma EX glass and Tamron .... they're all good glass. I actually did a side-side with a Sigma 10-20 and the Canon 10-22 and liked the Sigma better and bought it.

The Nikon 80-200 2.8 might be a better pick than the sigma. Personally I would never buy a Tamron lens either. Only rarely do off brands produce a decent lens but the canon or Nikon equivalent will always be better.

Your 18-70 is probably sharper than the Tamron and you don't even gain a full stop from 3.5 to 2.8.

My kit lens having better IQ than a 400 dollar tamron? Unless someone else tells me otherwise, I doubt it.

And "off brand" lenses are usually just as good as Nikkor or Canon lenses. Sometimes they are slightly lacking compared to the Nikkor/Canons, but the significant price difference can account for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back