IQ: Sigma 18-50 f2.8 vs Nikon 18-200 VR

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by PushingTin, Jun 2, 2007.

1. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have the Nikon 18-200 which is a great travel lens but looking for something that might give better IQ in the 18-70 range (I have a 70-200 for longer reach stuff).

Will the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC SLD ELD Aspherical Macro Lens give me better Image Quality than the 18-200? Does anyone have any comparisons between these lenses or does anyone use this lens?

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I'm not sure they're all that comparable... it may be that at 50mm at f/8 you'd find it hard to see much difference. But of course the Sigma has a constant max aperture of f/2.8; the Nikon slower and variable max aperture. The Sigma will provide extra speed if you need to use a faster shutter speed; on the other hand the Nikon has VR and the Sigma doesn't, so it may be a question of whether wider aperture or VR would be more useful to you. The Nikon of course has a much larger zoom range... and for that reason alone I would expect that yes, the Sigma will provide better image quality (to use that fairly broad term) within that range - at least it certainly should if it's anything like the equivalent Tamron.

3. coastietech

coastietech TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 has average reviews at best. Almost every review I have read has compared it to the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and they all say that other than build quality the Tamron wins in every way. Not to mention I think the Tamron is cheaper as well. I will be buying the Tamron in about a month so if you are still looking at that point I will let you know what I think about it. Or you can check out the reviews of both lenses at Popphoto.com

4. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Theoretically, yes. The 3X zoom range of the Sigma is way, way, way easier to correct for a lens designer than the 10X zoom range of the Nikkor. Since I haven't tested either lens, I can't tell you definitively but I would be willing to bet on my theoretical answer.

5. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [I have the 18-200 and] I am considering adding the 17-55 Nikon to replace the 18-70 kit lens (it is sharp but doesn't seem to get the color saturation the better lenses get.)

6. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would love the 17-55 but its out of budget reach :(

Sigma just in budget reach, but is it worth it? Dont want to spend more money on a lens I wont be happy with.

7. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Then borrow one or just get to a store and take as many test shots as they'll alllow :) and you might also want to look at the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.

8. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately here in SA, the stores only keep limited number of lenses, mainly the kit stuff and hot sellers. I would need to order the lens, cant ask them to order just to test it.