Iris 17

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by oriecat, Apr 30, 2004.

1. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I've finally gotten off my arse and worked on some new stuff... Along with general critique, can anyone help me learn how to scan grainy pics so the grain looks like grain and not pixels? I hate scanning. :?

[​IMG]

Edit - Forgot the details ~ Ilford Delta 3200, taken with Mamiya/Sekor 500DTL, dev'd in Rodinal, printed on Ilford Cooltone.

2. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Is that too big?

3. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

Sorry orie, I don't know how change the look when scanning. As for the size maybe reduce the height from 800 to 600. I usually don't go larger than 600 for either the width or height depending on which is bigger.

The picture itself has a nice mood with the lighting and shadows. At first I found the foreground a little distracting but after looking at it a little longer I think it adds some character to the black dead space. You can possibly crop more of the bottom or try a picture without the foreground. I would keep the mood the same though.

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like it a lot. You need to burn in the corners. Particularly the top corners as they are noticably getting lighter as you move out from the subject.

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beautiful image, just beautiful!! I'm not a fan of floral images - but you don't often get one in high speed B&W. :cheer: I love the grainy, dreamy quality of this image. It's been awhile since I shot anything faster than 400.

I see what Matt is saying about it getting lighter in the corners, there. Do whatever it is he is suggesting here :wink: and you'll have a flawless winner! Great job.

6. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Thanks Terri! I just printed a couple more from the roll that I like even better, but I am having a hard time getting them scanned correctly. :? Like on this one, the issue with the light corners comes out on the scan a lot more than the print and then I can't get it corrected right without screwing up the rest of the image. I hate scanning. :x :x

? to Matt, when I look at my negatives, it doesn't appear to me that the corners are that diff in exposure, it seems like I should be getting uniform background, but I am getting a slight variation in all of these pics I am working on. Could it be an enlarger problem? Or am I just not seeing it due to the subtlety.

7. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hate scanning, too!!!

Is there anything worse than having an image you're really proud of, it looks good to you and you want some feedback, then you scan it and it just looks like CRAP onscreen, so much that you think people will wonder what the hell you were so excited about?? :x

Down with scanners!!! :wink:

8. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

no real recommendations other than what have been offered, but i wanted to make a commendation- this photo has a real strong mood element. very serene...

it is definitive of your style. cool image!

9. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Nope, nothing worse! It's been so bad the past few days that I am almost ready to chuck it and never post anything again!! Screw online images... grrr....

Thanks Tobe! :)

10. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

Yes, scanning is a pain. I think it's mainly do to lower end flatbed scanners. I've seen some amazing stuff from film scanners but then again they do cost a lot. You can try finding a used film scanner on eBay or something.