Irritated newbie. ( tripod annoyance )

RainingOnSunday

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!
As a beginner to photography, I hardly knew a thing about the importance of getting a decent tripod. This is because I was mainly pointing and shooting until I decided to take more control. Not to mention, for my Infrared photos.
So at first, I bought a tripod for around $35. Now, I wasn't expecting the quality to be THAT bad. It broke after 3 uses. Fell apart.
So, I decided on getting one that felt sturdier and was a bit more expensive.
A tripod that was $60.
A handle snapped off. And then something else came off.

Basically. Somebody please tell me what price I need to pay for a decent tripod that won't break after like 2 uses?

Unless you can live without a ball head and some features. In which case you can get an okay tripod that won't fall apart for around $100 CDN. I got the Velbon Sherpa 200R going by the recommendation of one of the guys at my local camera store (he has six tripods himself, including the Sherpa). It's a sturdy tripod, with a good, fluid head. You miss-out on quite a few of the nice features that come with a much better tripod (for instance, it's harder to get down low to the ground, and lacks most of the wonderful locking mechanisms that you get with a higher-end setup), but as a beginner, it'll serve you very well. For me, I know that down the line the Sherpa can become my tripod that I don't care so much about, like if I needed to get a tripod wet for whatever reason (particularly useful in Vancouver), I wouldn't want to do such a thing to an expensive Manfrotto or Gitzo.

Getting a cheap tripod, as you've discovered, is just going to be a waste of time and money. A good ball head with and Arca-Swiss style quick release, L-bracket, and tripod would be wonderful, but not getting any cheapiness in that runs the cost much higher than would springing for the 200R.

You may go to B&H and look at some of the Sliks as well. I have their U2000 which I have abused for like 3 years. I use it for my lighter lenses for landscapes and, such. It only supports 6 lbs. I use my Manfrotto for my wildlife shots. The more weight the tripod and head support the more they cost. But the prices can range from $110 and up for the Sliks and, Manfrottos with heads start at $200 + for anything that hold any good weights.

I say go used with either Manfrotto/Bogen or Gitzo. Whatever fits your requirements. Both make bomb proof tripods that don't have much that break over time.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I feel like such a fool-- I had no idea that I'd have to spend that much to get a decent tripod! lol. But at least now I can just save the money and actually get my money's worth with the right brand and set up.

You know it's a lousy tripod when it's got a plastic head.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Usayit is correct, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a good tripod. Most people don't need to spend what Throm does, but then most people aren't using the kind of gear he does.

The point of the link was to show you that you have already started down the path that Throm is speaking of. Getting off that path means some serious shopping and spending a reasonable amount of money to get a good tripod not just for today but for the future.

Here are a couple of very popular leg choices among photographers at decent prices.

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 190XPROB Tripod Legs | 190XPROB

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 055XPROB Tripod Legs | 055XPROB

With heads they can be had for around $250 - $300 new. Head choice is an individual thing. Ball heads, 3way heads etc. My choice for daily shooting is a ball head. A couple of popular choices in ball heads:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 486RC2 Compact Ballhead | 486RC2

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 488RC2 Midi Ball Head with | 488RC2

Complete setups:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 190XPROB Tripod Kit (Black) with

With a 3 way head:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 055XPROB Tripod | 055XPROB,804RC2

Any of these should give you a lifetime of service.

Most reactions

Back