Is $600 a fair price for Canon EOS Rebel XSi + lenses?

fortywinks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

I received a camera early this year as a gift but I barely used it so I was looking to sell. Someone offered me $600 CAN for the following:

Barely used Canon EOS Rebel XSi camera including 18-55 Image Stabilizer lens and 75-300mm USM lens for greater range.

Including:
EOS Rebel XSi camera
18-55mm lens
75-300mm USM lens
Eyecup
Wide strap
Battery Charger
Battery Pack
USB Interface Cable
Video Cable
Software

Is that a fair deal? What would you pay for this? Clearly I know very little about cameras.. Thanks in advance!

Brand new, it can be purchased for $900 CDN (SEE HERE)
So $600 for a 'used' kit...might be a fair price. Of course, if it's barely used, then the buyer is getting a pretty good deal....but I don't know if you could get any more than $600.

Check out craigslist in your area to see what the camera is going for.

XSI + 18-55 + 50mm 1.8 + 8gb card + bag = $800 CAD
XSI + 18-55 + 1gb card = $550 CAD

Both ads on Montreal Craigslist

that 18-55 EF-S is a POS
Get a new Body and order a lens that YOU will like

trust me :)

that 18-55 EF-S is a POS
Get a new Body and order a lens that YOU will like

trust me :)

The OP doesn't want the camera though. So, that really doesn't matter here. 500 bucks for an entry level camera and two go to starter lenses - not bad.

18-55mm EF-S Kit lens.. is G A R B A G E
How can you disagree with that?
The EF-S 18-55mm IS is better than the original 18-55mm.
Also, what is a better zoom lens for about $100?

The biggest reason the 18-55mm lenses tend to produce lousy shots...is that they are mostly being used by lousy photographers.

The EF-S 18-55mm IS is better than the original 18-55mm.
Also, what is a better zoom lens for about $100?

The biggest reason the 18-55mm lenses tend to produce lousy shots...is that they are mostly being used by lousy photographers.

Its a lousy lens, I got some decent shot with it but nothing I would ever print.

I would suggest somthing like...
New
Xsi Body $500
Sigma 18-200 $300

I'd bet anyone would have a hard time telling which prints were taken with the 18-55mm vs the Sigma 18-200mm.

Now, if it was something like the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 or the 17-40mm F4L...then the quality difference would be much more visible.

I've got the original 18-55mm lens too...and I haven't used it in probably three years...it's not an outstanding lens by any means. But I still say it's the best (Canon) zoom lens you will get for $100.

:thumbdown:

Yes. Name off the list of P&S cameras that have a lens better than the 18-55IS.

People seem to forget that 99% of people buying/receiving a Rebel are going to be amateurs with limited resources to devout to the hobby, and will only be comparing it to their previous experience with P&S cameras. If you look at it from that perspective, the 18-55IS might be the finest lens ever made.

Not everyone has money to burn. The Fiend Club membership card has been rejected.

thanks to all who replied.

I've posted it for $750.. most ads are ~$800 where I am (Vancouver) with just the body and 18-55 mm included. To me that seems too expensive. Too bad I have no serious buyers so far :(
It's a shame; I don't know how to use it and don't have time for classes and whatnot.

Most reactions

Back