Is a better camera worth it?

SanctuS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I own a Canon Rebel T2, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to a Canon Elan 7NE. I dont shoot a bunch of photos, but I was wondering if the features on the 7NE are worth the $150 difference between the two bodies...

Do YOU think it's worth it?

Of course when you pay more for a better body generally you get more features, speed and, durability as far as that goes they are generally worth the extra money. Wether it is worth it to you is really only a decision you can make.

Are you missing any shots because your current camera is too slow or you have to do too many things to get it set up?

Does your camera not take a good enough photo when you know for a fact that you have done everything right?

If the answer to both of these questions is no then the answer to your question is probably no too.

Unless you just want a new camera in which case the answer is yes you must absolutely have a new one because the old one will never do! ;)

mike

I asked my son in law that question everytime he buys a new camera. He's reasoning is always flawed,, I always point it out to him,, and he always buys the new camera.. Don't know why either of us bother.

The upside of buys top end digital cameras and upgrading them often is that the old one still has a lot of value on ebay. The cost of the upgrade isn't really the cost of the new camera its the cost of the difference between the sale of the old one and the price of the new one.

The trade in is a little better than buying a car I think. I have used cameras and camera related gear go for almost full price on ebay.

When you say it costs an extra $150... does that mean you're planning to buy new? Personally I don't think buying any film SLR new is worth it, just because it's so much cheaper to buy used. Otherwise... do you consider the price good value for this particular camera? If you want more from your camera, is the 7NE even good enough? Could the money be better spent on good lenses, lighting or other equipment? Only you can answer these questions, based on what your needs are. What features specifically are you looking for, or rather what features do you think are lacking or inadequate on your current camera?

Most reactions

Back