Is a NIKON D1X worth keeping? (it was given to me)

Trish1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My father was a professional photographer and he passed away last year. Today my step mother gave me one of his cameras, which is a D1X with a AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm lens.
I would like to pursue becoming a professional photographer in the future, or at least a more serious amateur or part-time professional. So far I have only owned point and shoot cameras and have not taken the time YET to learn the technical side of photography. All I know is I LOVE TAKING PHOTOS.

So, my question is: Should I keep the D1X and learn how to use it or should I sell it and buy a newer model? Would it be a good enough camera to eventually shoot weddings and portraits, or should I invest in something else? And what about the lense?

I'm going to start educating myself on photography in general, but I don't want to spend the time learning to use this camera if it's not going to be good enough to use more seriously in the future.

Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you objective at this point is to just learn, I say keep the camera. It was a top of the line pro model at one point. I will offer a lot of features that only come on higher end model cameras. If you sell it you are not going to get a lot for it, not even close to enough to get something comparable in features and build quality. Probably not quite good enough to shoot weddings but I would think that for portraits it would do an alright job. It depends on how big you plan on making prints. But for entry into the DSLR world, this camera is far better than what a lot of people get.

Keep It!!! It is worth more to you as a learning tool than what you would get for it.

Besides.. this statement makes no sense...

" don't want to spend the time learning to use this camera if it's not going to be good enough to use more seriously in the future."

... and is no reason to sell the camera. Seriously... You can learn just as well on a 50 year old camera as with a 1 year old camera. Photography hasn't changed "that" much. If you do go professional in letsay 2-5 years from now, any DSLR you buy now will be outdated anyways.

I shoot a few D1X's, and have a D3 coming. I am keeping the D1's for sure. My last one I paid only $500 for it in mint shape with the buffer upgrade. I second what usayit said. What you get out of it by selling is a lot less than you will get out of it by keeping it. If you MUST sell it, give me a PM. I still would encourage you to keep it and use it. They are still wonderfully capable cameras.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I have decided to keep it, especially since it has sentimental value to me as well. I am going to get serious about learning how to use it, buy some accessories for it, and focus on the learning technical side of photography and practicing.
I think once I feel like I know what I'm doing I'll do some portraits of family members and maybe do a few weddings for either free or really cheap. During that time I'll save up for a newer DSLR.

What is a good current Nikon for weddings and portraits?

i would slow down a little bit man.. Weddings can be very very tough to keep up with and remember, it is an extrememly important date for people. Learn the ins and outs of the camera and the lenses, and then move to portraits of the family like you said. Long learning process, have fun!

i would slow down a little bit man.. Weddings can be very very tough to keep up with and remember, it is an extrememly important date for people.

Don't worry, I'm not stupid. I'm talking about doing some weddings for people who have NO budget and don't have the option of paying for a photographer. I actually took some pictures at a small, very informal wedding a couple of months ago with my Canon S3 IS that I had just bought (and wasn't even familier with yet) and the couple was SO GRATEFUL for the photos I took.

I'm not even sure if I ever want to do weddings professionally. I'm still not absolutely positive I want to do photography professionally, but that's what I'm trying to figure out. I just LOVE taking photos and looking at photos more than any person I know. But I'm very cautious because I'm very passionate about music as well and thought my dream job was to work in the music industry and after I did (and it wasn't that great) I lost some of my passion for it.

I'm thinking about getting a part time job at a studio in the mall or somewhere while I'm learning.

Most reactions

Back