Is a rain cover adequate?

IronMaskDuval

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shooting engagement photos for my sister this weekend, and I'm on a tight timeline since the both of us are meeting in our family's city, which we do not live in. I'm only there for two days for Christmas, and we plan on shooting Christmas eve. Since I only have a one day opportunity, we will still shoot if it rains, which I have never done but sure it will be fun. Just wanted to know if a rain cover of sort will be adequate in protecting my A7. My lenses are not weather sealed.

Rain is not in the forecast, but cloudy is. This is a just-in-case.

I'm shooting engagement photos for my sister this weekend, and I'm on a tight timeline since the both of us are meeting in our family's city, which we do not live in. I'm only there for two days for Christmas, and we plan on shooting Christmas eve. Since I only have a one day opportunity, we will still shoot if it rains, which I have never done but sure it will be fun. Just wanted to know if a rain cover of sort will be adequate in protecting my A7. My lenses are not weather sealed.

Rain is not in the forecast, but cloudy is. This is a just-in-case.

yes, a rain cover would be adequate ' just-in-case'
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

A clean, empty, plastic bread bag and a couple or two or three rubber bands, and maybe a smidgeon of tape...oughtta' be ample protection, if any protection is needed at all.

How much rain? Light rain shouldn't be a problem. I've shot with my camera in light-medium rain with no problems. Though, I'm unsure how sealed the A7 cameras are.

I really like OP/Tech's rainsleeve. They are cheap and they work.

RainSleeve™

The OPTech Rainsleeve would be more than suitable; although if you're using short lenses you might consider something along the lines of what Derrel suggested as the rainsleeves tend to be rather long (aimed at longer telephotos; more typically used outside in bad weather in sports/wildlife). Or you could get a rainsleeve and just cut it down to size.

Rainsleeves and the like won't be as tough as some of the custom covers on the market; but they should be more than durable for a wedding situation and light rain. The issue with rain tends to be more a problem when its heavy/intense/continuous and also in high humidities. Ergo the kind of weather where your wedding guests will likely be seeking cover.

If it's not windy a small umbrella if it can be carried would suffice

Most reactions

Back