Is a social media campaign worth the time?

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Or, "At what point are the benefits of a robust social media campaign outweighed by the time it takes to mount and maintain that campaign?" I had peek at Creative Live this morning and Susan Stripling was talking about her social media campaign, describing how she posts everything here and there, ensures that it links from here to there, etc, etc, etc... Anyway, as I was listening to her describe all of this, I began to wonder how long it must take to accomplish all that,and if the return on investment is really worth it.

Discuss.

Honestly? I seriously doubt it. I mean I suppose there are some people who might get a client or two that way, but really the problem is everybody and their brother is always soliciting you for pretty much everything via social media.

The other issue of course is that I think your advertising primarily to the wrong market.

Or you have someone else doing most of it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or you have someone else doing most of it for you.

True, I didnt consider the evil henchmen angle.

Oh, also wanted to ask you if you happened to have a map of the inside of tiredirons head. My gps cant get a signal in here.. lol

I would have to agree that it is not worth it. As a business owner I'm far too busy to build and maintain a campaign like that. It's not hard but it is time consuming. If I were to hire an office assistant then perhaps but my time is far too valuable for it. I've found far more value in Adwords than through social media. On the one hand social media is free to create and run, but on the other hand it takes time. For me I'm willing to pay for clicks through Adwords since there is minimal time consumption.

I do however get a fair amount of my customers through Yelp, if you consider that social media. A Yelp business profile takes very little time to set up and is free with no maintenance. I would highly recommend setting one up if you don't have it already. They do have a paid portion of it but the free part is working just fine for me so I figure why start paying for it.

...Oh, also wanted to ask you if you happened to have a map of the inside of tiredirons head. My gps cant get a signal in here.. lol
Meh... shouldn't need a map; it's just one big, open space!
Ya but its dark as hell in here, plus I stubbed my toe tripping over this box marked "plans for world domination"

Now wondering how many plugins she may have for something like Lightroom to upload all over creation.

I don't know about the photography marketplace, but I do know that most all major corporation that market to the general public hire social media people to attend to that marketing spectrum. If it's good enough for Disney ...

I don't know about the photography marketplace, but I do know that most all major corporation that market to the general public hire social media people to attend to that marketing spectrum. If it's good enough for Disney ...
Fair comment... and as soon as I get Disney's budget, I'll hire a whole team! :lol:

I would have to agree that it is not worth it. As a business owner I'm far too busy to build and maintain a campaign like that. It's not hard but it is time consuming. If I were to hire an office assistant then perhaps but my time is far too valuable for it. I've found far more value in Adwords than through social media. On the one hand social media is free to create and run, but on the other hand it takes time. For me I'm willing to pay for clicks through Adwords since there is minimal time consumption.

I do however get a fair amount of my customers through Yelp, if you consider that social media. A Yelp business profile takes very little time to set up and is free with no maintenance. I would highly recommend setting one up if you don't have it already. They do have a paid portion of it but the free part is working just fine for me so I figure why start paying for it.

Would you give us the link to Yelp that you use so we can see what it looks like? Thanks. Alan

Depending on what you shoot, I would think a more targeted marketing would be better. Use services that people actually go to when they are looking to hire, like yelp, Angies List, Workbook, etc. It's hard to stand out in the world of social media, but if you can get noticed the payoff can be significant.

I feel like my answer might be slightly irrelevant because of my specific situation but I'll throw this out there.. Facebook has been amazing for me. BUT, I live on a military base.. a relatively small one at that. We are nearing the end of this enlistment and been here 3 years now so I know a whole lot of people here for various reasons. We have a wives Facebook group and every time someone is looking for a photographer.. they post there looking for recommendations and everyone I know always tags me. :) There are quite a few photographers in this area but plenty of clients. I don't understand Instagram at all but I have one.. lol just never use it. But from what I hear IG is huge right now.. so I really need to get on that. Anyway, my point is.. it really depends on who your market is, whether or not the social media thing is really going to be worth your while or not. For me, it is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back