Is a Sony Camera Something to Lust After? Or Avoid?

A professional with an entry level DSLR will always take better pictures than an amateur with a professional camera.

This is a generalisation that often is far from true. "Professional" means very little to me unless I see his/her work. And there are lots of amateurs in some fields of photography who will give many pros a good run for their money.

The new Sony announced may make the decision for me. I look forward to a substantive review about the speed of focus that being the only issue that kept me from buying into the A7 system.
Its small-enough size and a decent 24-70 might lure me back to larger camera.
I'm going to look at an A7 this weekend to see how the dials and knobs would work for my too clumsy hands.

The new Sony announced may make the decision for me. I look forward to a substantive review about the speed of focus that being the only issue that kept me from buying into the A7 system.
Its small-enough size and a decent 24-70 might lure me back to larger camera.
I'm going to look at an A7 this weekend to see how the dials and knobs would work for my too clumsy hands.

OK. I remember your recent post that attracted a lot of praise :applause: Let me quote:

"Well I thought about it a lot, looked at all the available cameras and thought really hard - and decided not to buy anything now.
For me it was a triumph over GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and more of a focus on the real purpose of all this effort, which is making pictures.
Lew"

Now, all that it takes is a slightly faster AF? :allteeth::allteeth:

One Pentax feature that others should copy is its Tv mode, when you can choose both shutter speed and aperture, and the camera adjusts the ISO.

Nikon calls this mode "Manual"

Nope. Nikon Manual mode does not adjust ISO automatically.

I use manual all the time for specific Shutter and Aperture
And the ISO is set to AUTO ISO ... so the camera can do the ISO work for me
Otherwise, I could also adjust ISO manually if I wanted to.
You can also set the Max AUTO ISO limit if you wanted too.

Lenses are another big factor. I was a bit disappointed with Nikon DX glass, which I feel is deliberately dumbed down to make amateurs/ enthusiasts switch to full frame.
Why not buy FX glass then?
Other than the kit lens, I only bought FX glass for my d7000.
I really don't understand why people complain about DX glass being slower and want something better, when they have an option to get the FX glass which is better.

One Pentax feature that others should copy is its Tv mode, when you can choose both shutter speed and aperture, and the camera adjusts the ISO.

Nikon calls this mode "Manual"

Nope. Nikon Manual mode does not adjust ISO automatically.

I use manual all the time for specific Shutter and Aperture
And the ISO is set to AUTO ISO ... so the camera can do the ISO work for me
Otherwise, I could also adjust ISO manually if I wanted to.
You can also set the Max AUTO ISO limit if you wanted too.

OK. Yes, if set to an automatic ISO. With Pentax it is just a separate mode, I find it more convenient and logical, because Manual with automatically adjusted ISO is not Manual at all.

Yeah, It's Manual PLUS ++
or you could just use regular Manual

Lenses are another big factor. I was a bit disappointed with Nikon DX glass, which I feel is deliberately dumbed down to make amateurs/ enthusiasts switch to full frame.
Why not buy FX glass then?
Other than the kit lens, I only bought FX glass for my d7000.
I really don't understand why people complain about DX glass being slower and want something better, when they have an option to get the FX glass which is better.

Yes, you can, of course. BUT. What you get is an awkward focal range with zooms, unjustifyably large size and heavy weight, and you pay for the part of the glass that you actually never use. Economically it does not make any sense if you are not thinking about a FF camera. I just think that a good DX camera needs a good dedicated DX glass.

i have been jumping systems very often.. just lately i purchased a Sony a7 with the 35mm 2.8 lens. the kit has its pros and cons and for the following few weeks i enjoyed snapping pics with it. then i picked up a 6D with 40mm pancake lens... and even now i feel excited when shooting with the Sony but if i want to do something more serious, i always go back to 6D. for the price and long term investment, i think i will stick with the usual canon or nikon and not invest too much in sony. just for comparasion,
1) Sony body is little smaller than 6D .. and the A7 cost about £200 less than 6D second hand.
2) Sony 35mm f2.8 cost £300 more than the 40mm f2.8 pancake lens ... plus the 40mm is much flatter than the sony.
3) Sony 55mm f2.8 would coasr about £500 more than the canon 50mm f1.8..
4) The 6D performs better in almost all aspects..
Therefore if you ask me, the sony A7 *fullframe series have the lust in them .. but i would just avoid the Sony system because their lens are just too expensive plus the lens they making now are just too big and heavy which completely erases the system for being small...
i got both at the moment and i will keep 6D..

I view the Sony/Minolta A cameras as rather superflous. Sony should return to DSLR technology, or offer alternative DSLRs to their SLTs, or even think of a combined technology - EVF in lifeview mode, otherwise we get OVF, and in lifeview we get the option of having the mirror still down and getting Phase Autofocus - for example for best video autofocus.

As it goes right now, though, I think sooner or later all that will remain from Sony/Minolta A will be Sony A to E adapters.

Sony E/FE glass suffers from being expensive, and actually desireable choices of lenses are still very limited.

A photo from my RX100IV
1b574ca37305b5f2360e74c76270eaaa.jpg
totally auto
351c09488ca282bfa30600c544438a9c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back