Is anybody else troubled with Lightroom 2.2's memory leak?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The memory leak in LR 2.2 is driving me up the wall. If I go back to 2.1, that will be fixed, but I lose support for 5DII RAW's. Wondered if anybody was experiencing the same dilemma.

I heard about..... but it didn't effect me for some reason....

I thought I saw something about a patch out for it...

Sorry... not much help...

Sorry man, I have a Mac. I don't do memory leaks.

I have no issues with memory leaks... but then again, XP-64, 8 gig, quad core processor... I would be hard pressed to even notice it... lol

Hitting a lot of disk swapping, Keith? A fast way is to close the app and restart it, this should fix it for a while. I just did a search at Adobe.com for:
- Lightroom memory leak
- LR2 memory leak
- 2.2 memory leak
... and found nothing helpful, but they are frustrated at the Adobe forums. I also googled THIS link that says basically... don't upgrade.

I don't know... I am not seeing the issue here at all. Only thing you can do is hold tight and hope Adobe put out a patch ASAP.

Last edited:
I have no issues with memory leaks... but then again, XP-64, 8 gig, quad core processor... I would be hard pressed to even notice it... lol

Hitting a lot of disk swapping, Keith? A fast way is to close the app and restart it, this should fix it for a while. I just did a search at Adobe.com for:
- Lightroom memory leak
- LR2 memory leak
- 2.2 memory leak
... and found nothing helpful, but they are frustrated at the Adobe forums. I also googled THIS link that says basically... don't upgrade.

I don't know... I am not seeing the issue here at all.

Even with your 8gb's, you would surely see it. Under normal LR circumstances LR is only taking about 800mb, but once I hit the Develop module with the adjustment brush, the amount of RAM that's being taken by LR raises to 3,500mb (leaving 500mb for the rest of my apps) and then spills over to fill up my 12gb's of page file on a raid 0 volume. Fills up very fast! But I don't notice it unless I use Develop-adjustment brush.

Yeah I'll probably downgrade to 2.1, and just use the DNG converter to convert the RAWs to be usable...until 2.3 comes out. The good side is that this forced me to use Adobe's ACR that I haven't used before - for small batches of photos, this is very nice. A lot of my editing I can do there before it even gets fully loaded into PS.

Even with your 8gb's, you would surely see it. ...But I don't notice it unless I use Develop-adjustment brush.

Ok, either someone likes me or something is wrong, but a couple of pictures testing on using it, and it starts out at 921mb, doing 2 pics with the develop adjustment brush it comes up to 1285mb and doesn't go above that, even if I go to 2 more pics. It could be that XP 64-bit has a tighter hold on things, but who knows, I never said I was a programmer and I sure do not want to ever be.

The good side is that this forced me to use Adobe's ACR that I haven't used before - for small batches of photos, this is very nice. A lot of my editing I can do there before it even gets fully loaded into PS.

Yeah, I use that a little too. A fast way to apply a profile or series of adjustments (WB, lighting, sharpening for example), in one shot on a whole set or series of pics so that they look consistent, is nice.

Ok, either someone likes me or something is wrong, but a couple of pictures testing on using it, and it starts out at 921mb, doing 2 pics with the develop adjustment brush it comes up to 1285mb and doesn't go above that, even if I go to 2 more pics. It could be that XP 64-bit has a tighter hold on things, but who knows, I never said I was a programmer and I sure do not want to ever be.

Yeah, I use that a little too. A fast way to apply a profile or series of adjustments (WB, lighting, sharpening for example), in one shot on a whole set or series of pics so that they look consistent, is nice.

Ahhh XP64. I think that's why it works for you - this is Vista-specific I believe... How does XP64 treat you for the creative suite? All I really care about on this computer is the adobe suite & lots of RAM...shoot, I would be more than happy to lose Vista and go back to XP.

I'm using Vista32bit and no issues for some reason.

ZERO issues with PS CS3, Keith, works wonderfully. I'm upgrading to CS4 in the near future, and have not looked if they have a 64-bit specific version yet, but if they do, you know I am going to chose that over the 32-bit version.

Most 32-bit apps run a touch slower in a 64-bit O/S than in their native 32-bit. The process is called THUNKING, the on-the-fly translation of 32>64 bit code and back again... but on this computer, I don't miss that little extra bit of speed... matter of fact, once the app is loaded in RAM, things fly smooth and fast.

Thanks, Jerry. I'm having quite a few problems with the CS4 suite on Vista64. Not sure what to blame it on, but I've never had Adobe crash on any system prior to Vista 64. Now, crashes occur regularly. It's good hearing that XP64 works well for you & the Adobe suite. I'll probably set up a dual-boot so I can make the transition easier.

As a matter of interest do you use Lightroom to store and sort your photos too? I use it for just developing and then I export and delete them from the lightroom cache. All memory leaks I have heard of were related to people with HUGE lightroom databases, and these affect both windows and mac, memory leaks are a software issue and have nothing to do with the OS.

As a matter of interest do you use Lightroom to store and sort your photos too? I use it for just developing and then I export and delete them from the lightroom cache. All memory leaks I have heard of were related to people with HUGE lightroom databases, and these affect both windows and mac, memory leaks are a software issue and have nothing to do with the OS.

As far as memory leaks concerning the OS - I think we're both right - the problem does occur in Vista 64, but that's probably due to Lightroom's 64-bit Windows version. If you're running LR's 32 bit version on XP, I think the problem doesn't exist...same with Mac because the software is different. You had a good point - it's inspiring me to set up a 32-bit version of 2.2 on my computer now.

Yes I have a huge database, but not near as huge as a month ago on my older, slower, PC. You have a good point - there's no reason to keep all those photos there when they're already gone through and edited. Especially at my level (beginner) - I have nothing worthy of keeping 30mb RAW's around for no reason. I'll clean it up and will give an update.

While we're on this topic - is there any/much IQ difference when adjusting a 14-bit RAW in LR vs adjusting a 14-bit RAW in Adobe's ACR? A lot of the functionality looks the same - is it using the same engines/renderers/etc?

Lightroom and Camera RAW are identical engines, they use identical colour profiles for camera too which is why CameraRAW updates come out the same time (roughly) as Lightroom updates.

Well, I cleaned up about 150 GIGS of unnecessary RAW's. Got way inspired, did some cleanup & backups, then did the "restore to original manufacturer condition" restore option with my desktop. Going to start from scratch, clean it up, optimize it, then only run the essentials. Now that I found 8GB of RAM can be had (4 2gb sticks) for $100 shipped, that will be a soon upgrade I am sure.

Problem? I was blessed with a freaking error 1002 AFTER the drive was formatted and BEFORE the recovery was complete. Of course, nothing booted, no system recovery worked, a couple hours with HP got nowhere except a DVD on order that will come in 1-2 weeks. Hacked off, I tried to convert my little bit of unix knowledge to work my way around DOS. Ended up finding some corrupt registry settings, fixed them, and am now watching the progress bar of the recovery. Hopefully all will work well. I can't imagine editing 5D2 raws on this itty bitty Asus Eee!

Man one heck of a night. Meanwhile, Windows 7 Beta is downloading so I can install it on my desktop. Fun!

Lightroom and Camera RAW are identical engines, they use identical colour profiles for camera too which is why CameraRAW updates come out the same time (roughly) as Lightroom updates.

Excellent, great to know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back