Is anyone else colorblind?

ToddnTN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At age 45 I just found out I am colorblind which is weird, because I always thought I could see just fine. According to the test I am a deutan.

"Deutans are people with deuteranomaly, a type of red-green color blindness in which the green cones do not detect enough green and are too sensitive to yellows, oranges, and reds.

As a result, greens, yellows, oranges, reds, and browns may appear similar, especially in low light. It can also be difficult to tell the difference between blues and purples, or pinks and grays."

Is anyone else colorblind? Does it affect your photo's?

Not I, but I think my wife is almost there. Her father was colorblind, and wifey has difficulty telling certain colors apart, such as; yellow, pink, orange. To her, they are so similar as to not be discernible.

Her main difficulty is in selecting colors of clothing/curtains/paint. etc. She is not a photographer, but in her case I don't think there would be any particular difficulty in making photographs.

I have problem telling the deference in light red and green, especially when I recharge the batteries. I can't tell the green and red lights rather is fully charged or not. Most of the times I set the white balance to warmer tone and over saturated the images.

There are tools and monitors to help colorblindness. I have not try these yet.
color blind monitor - Google Search

According to tests I am not colour blind but I can't tell the difference between dark green and dark blue under lower lighting conditions

My father was but I am not.

Hello,

There are many software as well as tools available that can help you with color blindness. So just don't worry and keep shooting and as there are solutions for everything. Just search in google for solution and you will find plenty of tools for the same.

I have problem telling the deference in light red and green, especially when I recharge the batteries. I can't tell the green and red lights rather is fully charged or not. Most of the times I set the white balance to warmer tone and over saturated the images.

There are tools and monitors to help colorblindness. I have not try these yet.
color blind monitor - Google Search
And your traffic ticket for running that red light is in the mail.
Cartoon_cop.gif

A lot of photography learning is to do with training the eye to spot colour casts, CB people haven't a hope in hell and especially not if doing darkroom work, digital cameras and correction software negate the need to see colour properly as long as you accept what the computer spews out after calibration and using auto colour to correct the shots as few actually print their own stuff in the dark these days.
During my 'training' period the lecturers would have us reprint stuff many times to get them 'right', the trick is to view the print under daylight balanced lights for no more than 3 seconds as the longer you look the more the brain compensates for the 'casts'. Funnily enough apparently more men than women suffer CB.

Most reactions

Back