Is Extreme III CompactFlash Card a Type I or II CF?

NMLHaley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to purchase a card reader and am unsure about one thing - is the Extreme III CompactFlash Card the same thing as a Type I or Type II Compact Flash card? Many of the readers accept Type I & II CFs but I'm not sure if that includes the Extreme III CompactFlash Card, which is what I have.

Thanks for the help...I'm new here.

Hi and welcome to TPF.

Sandisk are type 1 CF cards, as far as I know, there are only type 1 and type 2 1s are 3.3mm thick and IIs are 5mm thick.

The extreme III is Sandisk branding, not the type of CF

hth

I thought they were all Type 2 now...and had been for a while...but I'm not sure about that.

Type 1 cards are the ordinary card. Type 2s are microdrives as they couldn't get microdrives to be any thinner. I don't think anybody makes microdrives any more.

There's "Type I" and "Type II" but then there's the Extreme II, III, IV. The Type refers to the thickness of the card. The Extreme [insert number] refers to the speed of the card. Cameras themselves are the bottleneck for writing to these cards at the moment, so an Extreme II shouldn't be much slower than an Extreme IV when taking photos. I honestly don't have any idea what the bottleneck is on card readers, or if they can go as fast as Extreme IV can read out.

Most reactions

Back