Is f/4 is Enough?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Buszaj, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone,
    My P&S is in repair and it may not be worth fixing it so I might have the chance to get a dSLR. The Canon 70-200f/4L, I would like to maybe pick this one up for sports. Will and aperture of 4 be enough for shooting various sports on nice clear days, slightly overcast ones, and in well lit large gymnasiums?

Thanks a lot

2. Keagle

Keagle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yup - I'm gonna get this lens too. The key you said is nice clear days/well lit - which means you can use a high shutter speed anyway. It's meant to be a really nice lens, and it's Canon's cheapest L.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Clear sunny days...probably...but F2.8 would be better.
    In any gym that I have seen...no, probably not...F2.8 is definitely better.

The F4 version is a great lens, one of the sharpest you can get...and if that's all you can afford, then that's a good choice. However, you will find yourself in situations where you will be wishing that you had the F2.8 lens...and the IS version.

4. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I would have to say if you can afford it the 2.8 is worth puuuuuusssshhhing your budget to get. I have to go one step further than Mike here and say as far as a gym a 2.8 is almost a requirement to get excellent shots. Lighting in a gym is extremely poor in gyms (as I am sure you know) and anything shory of a 2.8 you will be lacking or have to really push your ISO. So again I would go out of my way to get the 2.8 if it is a possibility I say go for it you will not regret it.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Other things to consider..

* f/4 version is far easier to pack; lighter and more compact
    * f/4 version's cost... money that could be spent elsewhere.
    * Shooting at f/2.8 wil mean a decreased DOF. Subject aperture versus story telling...
    * There are good options available from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina. (esp sigma).

I sold mine because I found that the f/4 zooms (24-105 f4L and 100-400mm L) are better suited for my travels on foot and f/4 good enough for most of the shooting I do. In the case of my 100-400mm, the extra focal length was more useful. If I expect to shoot in low light, I'm happier shooting with primes which will outperform equivalent zooms in almost all categories.

So in most your cases you specified, you will be fine with f/4 with the exception of the gym. In that situtation, you can increase ISO or shoot at a faster aperture. Its up to you to determine which is best suited for your tastes.

Funny Mike... there many times I was shooting with my 70-200mm f2.8L IS that I wish I had 1.4 or 1.8... hence my move to fast primes.

6. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you absolutely HAVE to get the f4, work on a couple of off camera flashes and pocket wizards for gyms. As well as they can be lit, almost always not bright enough for less than a 2.8 and sometimes not even then. One or two hot-shoe flashes over and behind each goal and they can turn the lights off and everything is bright and sharp as long as you do your part.

7. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Before going this route, the OP needs to see if it is allowed. Many indoor sporting events do not allow flash to be used as it is a distraction to the players. Waste of money to buy $500-$1000.00 worth of flashes and pocket wizards, not to be able to use them. Plus that money could go towards the f.2.8.

8. Keith Gebhardt

Keith Gebhardt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    depends also on the lighting conditions. f/4 is good for daytime, maybe some strong overcast.

but night shots, even in an arena or indoor stadium.. youll want f/2.8 at least. you can get away with 3.5 with high iso somtimes. but images arnt as crisp.

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I am going to assume you know this but just because you have a 2.8 lens doesn't mean you have to shoot at 2.8 to get the full value of the lens. In fact if you never shoot a 2.8 lens at 2.8 you are still getting the full advantages of a 2.8 lens.

10. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    double post

11. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    yes.. of course I know.

How many stops between f/2.8 and f/4?

There is more than one way to obtain a decent photo in a tough low light situation... I am mearly stating that opening to f/2.8 is not always the best solution. Again.. subject versus story.

I'd argue that if you never shoot at f/2.8 you would be better off with the f/4 lens. Easier to handhold, pack and lower cost. The 70-200mm f/4 is known for sharpness all throughout even at f/4.. some would argue even sharper than the f/2.8 @ f/4.

Now if you consider the Sigma... the cost difference is not so big.

12. MikeR

MikeR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot both indoor and outdoor high school sports. f/4 will not be suffecient in most gyms. I shoot with the f/2.8 version and sometimes have a problem in gyms. Even outdoors you have to remember that your shutter speed will need to be fast enough to freeze the motion and as you raise the ISO you risk noise.