Is film photography dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: Originally Posted by IgsEMT
Quote:
Our Wal mart is the same way. They tried telling me to go to right aid if I wanted my film done in house......Heh, my reply left a handful of people with some rather interesting looks on their faces. I was not about to do that.

If you need a lab, I'd gladly recommend you mine.

Do they process Negative Only?

The guy does everything from film to binding to delivering albums.

Have a film/photo/picture mounting/digital etc..etc..right around the corner from my house. About 1 mile or so, I guess. Had been sending my film to Cincy to be processed, then found out these people have been there, all this time.

Their primary sales is in digital camera's, of course, plus photo printing and mounting. I had about a 1/2 hour conversation with them about film. They said, that, suprisingly, film processing, or that portion of their business is steadily growing again, after nearly falling off to nothing. I just have them develop slides and neg's and then scan them onto my PC.

No shortage of film in this area, I just bought a boat load, and you can get it all over the internet.

The good thing is, that if you are really interested in film, now is the time to jump on it. 35mm's in perfect to mint condition, and lenses are relatively cheap, in fact compared to what they origionally sold for, dirt cheap. The down side of that is, if you're wanting to off load your film equipment, you're not going to get much for it, depending on what it is.

Most of the customers that this shop deals with, that are doing film, are either the over 50 crowd, and suprisingly, the younger crowd. These (the younger) are people who "grew up" with digital, and never used a film camera. Many of them are enrolling in photography classes, just to learn film, and processing.

So for now, I vote "no", film is not dead...it'll probably never be what it used to be, in fact I'm pretty sure of that, but it's on an upswing, for now. BTW, I have 4 bodies, a bunch of lenses, and all the associated goodies. I don't even own a digital camera except for a point 'n shoot, that I use around the shop to take quick pictures for our website. I'm probably going to break down and buy one next year, just for the "convienience" of it, though. Not sure I'm looking forward to the learning curve, though.

J.:mrgreen:

Quote: Originally Posted by IgsEMT
Quote:
Our Wal mart is the same way. They tried telling me to go to right aid if I wanted my film done in house......Heh, my reply left a handful of people with some rather interesting looks on their faces. I was not about to do that.

If you need a lab, I'd gladly recommend you mine.

Do they process Negative Only?

The guy does everything from film to binding to delivering albums.

Got a website link?....Do I need to drop a name or anything?

Ask Nikon if film is dead. A Nikon F6 film camera will cost you over 2 grand.

Film wont die because some people are reluctant to change and others are rebels.

Formats come and go. Extending the music analogy, reel to reel is dead. 8-track is dead. Cassette is dead. Vinyl is virtually dead. Is it increasing? Yes. Are CDs decreasing? Yes. Vinyl still has less than a 1% market share. CDs are almost dead. It's all downloads now.
Film will linger on for nature photography and pro landscapes for awhile, but consumer use is about gone. Hobbyists won't keep a format alive... at least anywhere near where it was 10-20 years ago. As sensors and camera processors continue to evolve, the argument for film will eventually fizzle out. It'll become a novelty along with a Desoto, an icebox, and a crystal radio.

that said, I still have all my vinyl records and I just fitted an old Yashica 35mm camera to accept my Canon's filters.

If film is not dead yet, it is certainly dying. At one point the quality of film was still better but now with a digital camera you can take a photo of what you cannot even see, in the dark. Full frame 24megapixel digital cameras have hit $2,000 and will probably still go down further.

Medium format has been invaded by the 50 megapixel Hasselblad and large format by the ultra high resolution Red. Improvements in chip technology will bring the prices down as well.

skieur

Based on the fact my 35mm has been sitting on my dresser motionless for the last year and a half....Yes.

I've been going to cameras shows (which are mostly film-oriented) regularly
in the L.A. area for many years.

I've watched the interest and turnout for these shows dwindle steadily
to a very low point last year, 2008. But, this year there has been a
resurgence and the shows are definitely increasing in popularity and
attendance. One show had cut its schedule down to every-other month
but has now reinstated the monthly shows due to recent increased
popularity.

Lots of younger people now are attending these shows rather than just the
usual older crowd and some of them are pretty savvy too about older film
equipment. Recently I talked with one young art student at a camera
show who only uses Pentax 110 SLRs for her photo art. She actually cuts
her own 110 format film and reloads 110 cassettes to do this!

My mum still uses her film camera, I know how to use one but its not very practical where we live because no one develops the film.:thumbdown:

:meh:

I beleive it is dying. I have my Elan 7e sitting in the pelican case and i fear she will not see a flicker of light for a long time. Maybe ill shoot a roll when i get my L glass but if someone offers shes a gonner. I find its just something that i do not need to use anymore. Its like fishing with a hand line when there is a perfectly good fishing rod in the bag.

I'll believe film is dead, when I see "FILM IS DEAD" on the Cover of Times Magazine. For you younger generation that don't get the analogy, you'll just have to google it.:lol:

J:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back